cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

feelikedansin

Hello...

My name is Amanda and my quit date is the 31st of January 2011.  I am nervous about it.  A lot of my friends smoke and I find it difficult not to smoke socially.  I have Crohn's disease and smoking is not helping that.  It may sound stupid, but I actually hate the taste of cigarettes and the smell.  It is that momentary feeling I get from them that I like. This will be my third attempt in the last 12 months to quit.  I hope to make this one stick.  I don't want to be a smoker.  I find it to be a crutch that I run to whenever things seem to get difficult.  My friends all kind of giggle when I say I want to quit.  They say things like "wait until you have kids" or "wait until your life levels out".  I don't find that very supportive.... Maybe I need better friends. lol I don't know.  So I am turning to this program in the hopes of quitting for good.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
meemaw

Hi Amanda I am Vicki, I too have set my quit date at Jan. 31st.  I have smoked for almost 37 years and am determined to quit smoking after suffering from a heart attack just before christmas.  I belong to another quit group via my work and my work is paying for nicotine patches, so I'm hoping that will help.  I also am scared, scared of quitting.  It has been a part of my life for so long.  I have been down from 2 packs a day to 4 cigarettes a day since the heart attack, but I do need to get rid of those final 4.  Good luck!!

0 Kudos
angel51859

Hi Amanda!

Welcome to Ex this is the best site I ever joined I never even thought about quitting and joining this site has been a wonderful tool! Welcome it is exciting!

0 Kudos
meeshee86

HI Amanda,

I just joined myself. My quit day is Jan 24. I know exactly how you feel having some less than supportive friends. Truth is, these friends are probably smokers themselves and a part of them is probably a little envious that they aren't determined to do the same. Just always remember that you're doing it for you. And if anything else, you should be excited to prove them wrong! About two years ago I quit for about 6 weeks then stress led me to smoke again. I'm really looking forward to succeeding again as I'm sure you are too! Good luck!

0 Kudos
onelasttime

Welcome to the ex site I am sure you are all struggling with the fact that your friends are not supportive. I had the same issues with a couple of my friends when I quit things like "Yea I have heard that before from a million people".My reply was sit back and watch. I have one year and one day clean and the two people who told me I couldn't do it are still smoking and hacking and stinking.lol I have done it without their support. You have chosen a good place to be the people here will guide you and help you if they can . there are long time quitters here that can answer and questions you have. So stick around you will be glad you did...Deb 

0 Kudos
rose18

Hi Amanda,you are so young honey,now is the best time to do this.. Please   do not wait till you are 57 and attempt to quit..Now is the time..I just quit this morning after smoking for 35 yrs.  I have attempted this several times and failed,the longer you smoke the harder it gets...You can do this Amanda...and so can I

Good luck

Rose

0 Kudos
brownton

Hi Amanda, Its day 14th for me and I'll tell you, there some real struggles and trouble sleeping. A guy on here gave me this other help website, if you like to read, think of this website of a motavational speaker.

Anyways go strong!!!!

Heres the link to that website.

http://www.quitsmokingonline.com

0 Kudos
julie104

Hello my name is Julie and i am getting ready to quit smoking for the first time and i just don't know if i can make it.I will give it my all.

0 Kudos
feelikedansin

Thank you everyone!  I appreciate all the support!  I wasn't sure what I would get when I put myself out there.  Thank you!

0 Kudos