cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BugsNBats14

TELEVISION SMOKERS

Perhaps I just didn't notice previously, but now that I am a 62 day EX smoker, it seems that I see more and more tv characters smoking and many are chain smoking.  On tv shows, NETFLIX originals, PRIME, HULU, theater movies, etc.

Does this bother anyone else?

Or is it because I am a Newbie?

14 Replies
AnnetteMM

I think it's a combination of both: We're noticing more because we've quit, but it's almost being shown on TV and streaming a LOT more than before. It's somehow become less taboo to show it on screen in order to be in sync with the times they're portraying. It still bothers me, I'm not gonna lie. I'll bet you if I were still a smoker right now I'd be lighting up every single time I saw someone on TV do it. It's legitimizing smoking in a way I haven't seen in a long time.

elvan

After more than five years, I still NOTICE.  It used to seriously bother me, I could not watch Mad Men because I didn't start until after I quit.  My daughter has been quit for over three years and she told me that she is extremely bothered by the smoking on the Netflix series "Stranger Things."  I have watched that but it did not bother me...I still noticed it.  Like Mandolinrain‌ says, I am really grateful to be FREE!

Ellen

Barb102

I notice it more now on TV then I did before I quit. In the beginning of my quit and into NML I would have to take the show off. For me it would have been like drinking or being with friends that smoked. I wasn’t ready for it. But now I’m very well aware of it. It makes me realize how we saw smoking as a cool romantic thing to do in my time. Just like there were no warnings on cigarette packs.  I only hope now that we can stop the Vaping. It scares me that you g people will. think it’s cool and not addictive and dangerous , just like we did. I feel very very strongly about wanting to help them before it’s too late and then turn out like me

BugsNBats14

A son of a friend, in 30s was vaping. He had to start smoking again as step

1, to get off vaping. Then, he cut back and back and quit. He told his mom

vaping addiction much worse to quit.

elvan

BugsNBats14‌ That's terrifying.  Our local paper has been featuring articles on the number of kids at the high school who are vaping now...some are even substituting the pods...is that what they are called?  In their Juuls for THC...we could never smoke in school without getting caught but it is much harder to see if someone is using a Juul...from what I understand.