cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Daniela2016

Strong, stale tobacco smell?

This morning I had to drive a couple of hours, back and forth to the Endocrinologist.

It is that time of the year in AZ when the AC has to be on in the car at pretty much every time of the day.

The car I drive is over 17 years old, and had suffered my smoking abuse for 15 years before I quit.

The smell seems to be related to the AC, the car no longer smells like tobacco.  But since this morning, wherever I am, it seems I smell the same stale, disgusting old tobacco smell.  I smelled it in the Dr's office, at the grocery store, and now in the house, trying to concentrate on my work, and not being able to. I even sprayed some of good perfume on me, in the hopes it will go away.

Should I be concerned?

Is something happening in my lungs, trachea, causing it?

Any of you experienced it?

Or is it just the memories of smoking creating "real" sensations, and I should try to ignore it, let it go, let it go, let it go???

Daniela 825 DOF

14 Replies
MarilynH

Wow I have no clue Daniela but I spent the day with my daughter Mandy on Tuesday she took me to an appointment which is a two hour drive away and she smokes and in the car as well so yesterday off and on throughout the day I could smell that stinky Ashtray smell through my house and no one smokes in my house hummmm strange but true!

JACKIE1-25-15

Those odors attach to our hair, clothes and we continue to smell it after the fact.

Daniela2016

Thanks so much MarilynH‌, then it is probably what happened to me today; but it is strange, it happened in the past too, but it never seemed to last so long.

Oh, well, hopefully it is just old, bad memories manifesting physically, or maybe it is just a phantom smell...

You need to bake some of your wonderful bread to chase it away.

I'll cook tonight too, I am afraid roasted veggies won't smell as good as your bread, but they will have to do

MarilynH

Roasted veggies sounds really good yummy I'll have to bake bread on Saturday I should have done it today brrrrrr it was a cold rain today the temps only got up to 49 degrees today and possibly Frost tonight because it's supposed to clear but the wk end is supposed to warm up huge hug. 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Sniff some coffee grinds. That may get rid of the odor.  The odor may be attached to your nose hairs. 

Daniela2016

Thanks JACKIE1-25-15    , what a beautiful image you made me paint in my mind   But you know what, I sniffed the coffee, and now just inhaled some steam from the roasted veggies and I am cured!!!  It's a miracle, thanks so much

YoungAtHeart

The smell is in the vent system, probably.  If it keeps up, you might try this:  https://www.washos.com/blog/remove-smoke-smell-car/ 

Glad you got it out of your nose!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Thank you Nancy, I might need to wash my nostrils next time if I am in a place where I can't find the coffee grinds!

But I will check out the link too, thanks!

So glad you are feeling better

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

You can have the A/C filters in your car changed - that Is probably what triggered it and then it just lingered with you the rest of the day.  I have had that happen with other odors. Hope you are doing well otherwise Daniela!

0 Kudos