cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

redpepper

In support of nic gum?

Chewing 4mg gum. 48 hours away from last smoke. I hope it's okay to chew--for now. Has anyone achieved success this way? Should I set a quit for the gum too? YIKES!  And--thank you!  

20 Replies
AnnetteMM

Some do, some don't.  I usually don't respond to questions about Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) because I personally think it's better to quit nicotine altogether when you quit smoking.  Putting a little nicotine in your body keeps the withdrawal happening.  I think the sooner you stop the gum the sooner you'll be out of withdrawal and on your way.

redpepper

Thanks a million for responding. I think you're right. I feel I am only prolonging the agony. Ugh.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Congrats on your decision to quit smoking.  It is the best once you get through the journey of quitting.  As for nicotine gum.  I think it is a good nicotine replacement.  I think it is o.k. that you began it already.  I personally got addicted to the gum.  Only 3% to 5% get addicted. Stay close to this site.  It is an immense part of a successful quit. 

constanceclum

Many people use this site to quit smoking and different people use different methods. I did not have much success with patches and lozenges but, a couple of times, I made it a couple of mo. I'm doing better with chantix but it's not for everyone. Some people think cold/smart turkey is best but, I think, it's whatever works for you. I would suggest to use it as directed and for the length of time directed. After a mo., try going down to 2mg. dose.

Connie

elvan

I did not use anything but I have nothing against NRT's.  I do tend to think it is more helpful to use patches if you can because you apply the patch and leave it there until you take it off...you don't keep applying patches because things are difficult.  This is not easy but it most definitely is something you can do with or without nicotine replacement.  Yes, there eventually comes a day when you have to stop putting the addictive substance into your body.  I got so sick that I couldn't do anything but quit...it was either quit smoking or quit breathing.  I chose to breathe and I have to choose it every day.  Over four years since I quit, thanks to this site and the education and support and accountability...I have stayed quit.

Ellen

redpepper

My mom is on oxygen and smoking. I go to her house, get her groceries, make her bed, help her to dress. Quitting is no longer a choice for me. I have to. I want to live and breathe. Thanks for the notes on NRT. And congratulations to Y--O--U! 

elvan

redpepper‌ I am on oxygen at night only...I work out regularly, eat a healthy diet, spend a LOT of time on this site, and commit to my quit every day.  You CAN do this and you are NOT alone!

Ellen

redpepper

Thanks zills, elvan. Went to Mom's earlier today. It's not easy, that's for sure. I have to go back in a bit, too. Stress craving hit hard as I was leaving. Nervous about going back. Whew! I can do this! Right?!?!

elvan

redpepper‌ Of COURSE, you can do this...none of the rest of us have anything that you DON'T have.  Believe that smoking doesn't help anything and say that over and over again because it really doesn't.  What helps is right here...we will listen and hold your hand and do whatever we can to help you.  We have all been where you are.

Ellen