cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

davidfawcett

Still getting strong urges after about 6 months of quitting

I am new here but needed support after yesterdays near failure.  I wanted to smoke all f***g day long yesterday but resisted it.  My 6 month quit milestone is Sept. 1.  I am fine today but the monster in my head would not subside.  About the only thing holding me back from a relapse is the painful thought of having the quit again and go through weeks of feeling miserable and out of control.  Anyone else feel this way after months of quitting or is it just me?

David Fawcett
Labels (1)
13 Replies
Christy101

I am set to quit on September 1. How did you get through the first few days?

davidfawcett

I spent the whole month of Feb. trying to quit or taper down to 10 a day from 30.

Failed every time and was miserable and wanted to die.

Last week of Feb started Chantix and quit March 1. Two week later switched to Wellbutrin because Chantix made me sick at the full dose of 2 MG/day.  Also read The Easy Way which is a good brainwashing like Quitsure.  Enrolled in Tobacco Free FL for 3 sessions that were a month long per session. Just signed up to take it again starting this Saturday for 4 more sessions. I did everything available to me and it was still a brutal process. Never want a do-over with quitting.

David Fawcett
Barbscloud

@davidfawcett  Congrats on your success.   Six months is a fabulous achievement--plan something to celebrate.      This is not  unusual--the psychological part of quitting can take some time, so I'm glad your reached out.   Stay close and stick to your plan and you'll be celebrating on the 1st.

Be proud of your success.  It's an amazing accomplishment.  

Barb

MarilynH

Welcome to the community @Christy101 you've made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definetly the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the GIFT OF LIFE, stay close and read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will succeed in living a life of Freedom when September 1st comes keep your mind as well as your hands occupied and at the end of the day you'll be able to say YAY for DAY WON with many more to come. I drank alot of water and still do and I chomped on carrots and celery sticks to which helped me plus I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of of any unforseen cravings 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome @Christy101   Look forward to celebrating with you on the 1st.  You've made the best decision of your life.  We're here for you, so just reach out

Barb

maryfreecig

Not unusual at all, David!!!! We remember smoking for quite some time. Most of us experienced smoking as absolutely necessary to our sanity. Who knew that addiction can take over everything? Well a lot of people know this, but when we are in the thick of worshipping smoking (addiction) we don't see the big picture.

You've worked for your quit and it shows. Keep up the great work. Eventually we come out of the addiction and we don't need to work nearly so hard. One day at a time, yes you can. 🙂

davidfawcett

I understand and your reply is a bullseye to me.  Addiction was going to kill me in a way nonsmokers will never understand. This is my last go at quitting.

David Fawcett
MarilynH

Congratulations on your precious quit journey @davidfawcett YAY for 6 splendiferous Smokefree months and counting WTG YAY for each and every Day WON.... Everyones quit journey is different but you are doing great! This addiction is powerful but with N.O.P.E and vigilance there's no way any of us will FAIL, you've got this quit firmly in your grasp plus we're all here for you.....

sweetplt

Congratulations @davidfawcett on 6 months of Freedom…!  Everyone is different, as to when they feel like smoking really isn’t a thought.  Personally, at about 70 days quit, I knew I would not go back to smoking.  Even when I had a crave, I no longer wanted to go back to smoking.  You have a good reason not to go back, those early days that totally suck.  Give it longer and when you have a bad day…look at it that way, a bad day and go to sleep and the next day should feel better.  

You have worked hard for your quit, don’t give up…Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 996 DOF