cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

Solution for X?

OK I have been trying to solve a question/problem but couldn't figure the best way to go about it.  I won't go into the specifics of what I'm trying to figure out nor why I am blogging it here other than to say Ex-ers are a great sounding board for more than just stopping smoking!! Yesterday while taking a shower (my best thinking spot) and I decided to try an analogy.  Being from a computer programmer/database designer and administrator for a DoD contractor background I finally pulled out the old flowchart type thinking.  Maybe you can help me find solutions for X.

X is any object you'd like to picture. Animated or inanimate doesn't matter.

X was created for a reason, a real purpose.

X was molded, tested, redesigned and rebuilt until it was deemed useful.

X was being used daily and it was very important to have X around.  X mattered to many different groups and became readily available to them for use.

X's usefulness was diminished over time as other things could do what X did and more.

X started to be used less and less by almost everyone and was 'put in the closet' as its' purpose and use faded.

X no longer mattered and was abandoned having no reason or purpose anymore.

What do you think should be done with X?  Some possible choices are the usual; put in a closet or stored in the attic for possible use later, it could be put up for recycling, it could be thrown in the trash or maybe there is something else that could happen with X.  I'm curious as to what people come up with!

33 Replies
minihorses

Throwing paint on a vinyl record?  Do they know how much those things cost these days?  They can run up to 5 times the mp3/4 or CD prices.  I hope the albums they used were from Barry Manilo, The Captain and Tennille, The Backstreet Boys, etc.

0 Kudos

Image result for 8 track tapes

YoungAtHeart

a99025a8-0e0b-4488-afd7-87ad7d18d726.jpg

I WILL be telling my age, but I had to type PENSION TRUST AGREEMENTS of 50-80 pages (with 8-10 copies,  using onionskin and carbon paper-no such thing as a copy machine)  on a manual typewriter. You had to POUND those keys! It had a ribbon that moved along as you typed (the manual bars each had a letter on the end that imprinted on the paper) and the pressure made the copies. I actually typed 60 wpm on one of those things!    Try getting THAT number of pages around the platen (what they called the roller!).  If you made a mistake, you had a cover that fit behind each piece of carbon and you had to erase all  of the copies!  Ah, the good old days.

The first electric typewriter had a ball that spun - and could be changed with different fonts:  IBM Selectric - I can't believe I remember that name of all things!

us__en_us__ibm100__selectric__selectric_1__900x773.jpg

I like computers better!

Teach X to Write in Cursive. Misery loves company

PS

I saved 200 of my favorite albums when I made a major move in 2009. Gave up about the same amount. Trashed thousands of VHS tapes. 

minihorses

We just cleaned out some of the records but we kept some of our favorites.  I don't have any way to play them but WTH.

0 Kudos

You can buy a decent USB record player for around $100 that you can play through most any flat panel TV's and any computer with speakers. You can also hear anything online

0 Kudos
Giulia

My husband has an old manual Adler in his office closet and I have an IBM Selectric ball writer.   Ah yes, those carbon paper days with the little pink erasers.  I remember it well!  Still have the carbon paper and the pink eraser!

Eraser Brush (1960s)

How to create an affordable fluid art painting using old vinyl records - YouTube 

Paint Pouring On A Dollar Store Budget - Get Started Paint Pouring for UNDER $10 - YouTube 

JonesCarpeDiem‌  A few of my collection:IMG_8387.JPG

Nice

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I got rid of all my albums about 2 years ago shortly after I moved. I had all those Beatles albums!  I actually saw them.  Never did VHS.  Had cassettes, reel to reel,  and still CD's.