cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

Solution for X?

OK I have been trying to solve a question/problem but couldn't figure the best way to go about it.  I won't go into the specifics of what I'm trying to figure out nor why I am blogging it here other than to say Ex-ers are a great sounding board for more than just stopping smoking!! Yesterday while taking a shower (my best thinking spot) and I decided to try an analogy.  Being from a computer programmer/database designer and administrator for a DoD contractor background I finally pulled out the old flowchart type thinking.  Maybe you can help me find solutions for X.

X is any object you'd like to picture. Animated or inanimate doesn't matter.

X was created for a reason, a real purpose.

X was molded, tested, redesigned and rebuilt until it was deemed useful.

X was being used daily and it was very important to have X around.  X mattered to many different groups and became readily available to them for use.

X's usefulness was diminished over time as other things could do what X did and more.

X started to be used less and less by almost everyone and was 'put in the closet' as its' purpose and use faded.

X no longer mattered and was abandoned having no reason or purpose anymore.

What do you think should be done with X?  Some possible choices are the usual; put in a closet or stored in the attic for possible use later, it could be put up for recycling, it could be thrown in the trash or maybe there is something else that could happen with X.  I'm curious as to what people come up with!

33 Replies
minihorses

Ahh yes, the old flip toaster that I haven't even thought about in years!  I really only used them over and ope fire while we were camping.  Woody flavor and a little honey and you have gourmet food.  Popcorn made over an open fire is fun and fantastic as well!

gregp136

I put all my 8-tracks in a box in the basement.

YoungAtHeart

X might be a broom, and I would keep it to fly around on Halloween!

minihorses

laugh.gif I love it! I will grab my existing broom and we can fly together.  Who needs Halloween to use it?

Lauralives

Can x be repurposed and isn't everything (almost) that is old, new again?  Can it be remolded or dismantled and restructured?  Is it possible that if other things that work better than it are destroyed that it could be used again?

Barbscloud

The first thing that came to mind was a typewriter which probably no one wants.  Maybe a museum?   I'll never forget this.  Several years ago when I was still working, one of my secretaries brought her two young children in and they had no idea what it was.  

minihorses

The first typewriter I ever used was the old completely manual keyed one similar to this one.

Manual typewriter.jpg

Try typing a 1000 word paper on one of these.  God forbid there are spelling or grammatical errors = retype the whole page!

Barbscloud

I'm dating myself, but remember "playing' with one my aunts had that was more like this:

elvan

Wow, this is a month old and I was supposed to get back to it the next day...here I am a month later and I still really have no clue...unless you are my husband and then you would build a shrine to it because it represents the past.  I had a gorgeous coffee percolator that belonged to my parents and I had all of the paperwork to go with it.  My husband thought it was the best thing ever, I have no idea if it survived the fire but I seriously doubt it.

0 Kudos
Giulia

It might come back to life and usefulness depending upon new interest.  I.e. the phonograph and vinyl records.  A younger generation who never saw or heard of X might find it intriguing.

I saw someone using an upsidedown cup painting process over a vinyl record.  Who knew that record might be used in a totally new way as an art form.

So I would have to say it depends on what the X factor IS.  Someone who thinks out-of-the-box and is imaginative could find SOMETHING interesting to do with it, I'm sure.  DON'T throw it away.  If not all the parts of X are of interest, perhaps some of those parts ARE.

0 Kudos