cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lucky-shirley

Social Smoker needs medication?

I have been quit for 10 days now. I was a social smoker, only smoking when at bars or when drinking at a party at a friends home. I would smoke maybe 10-15 cigarettes on a Friday or Saturday evening, no more than that. No cigarettes at all during the week, minus the occasional happy hour outing to the bar after a long day at work.

Do you think I need medication to help me with my quit? Medicating seems kind of over the top for a social smoker, yes? Maybe I could consider the gum when I'm out and about...?

Thoughts, suggestions, comments anyone? Thanks!
0 Kudos
77 Replies
edith2

It doesn't matter whether you smoke 1 or 100 cigarettes a day. You're still feeding the addiction. Being a social smoker is like being kinda pregnant. You should consider smoking all together. There are several ways to quit; it's all about whatever way works for you. If you stick around, you'll definitely get support here.
0 Kudos
edith2

It doesn't matter whether you smoke 1 or 100 cigarettes a day. You're still feeding the addiction. Being a social smoker is like being kinda pregnant. You should consider smoking all together. There are several ways to quit; it's all about whatever way works for you. If you stick around, you'll definitely get support here.
0 Kudos
diana3

I disagree with Edith -- sorry, Edith. If I only smoked 15 cigarettes or less a week, I wouldn't worry about it. I am of the school that we can do ANYTHING in moderation and it won't hurt us...it's the excess -- or that many things DO lead to addiction...she's been smoking a small amount...doesn't sound like she needs to worry about the addiction.

I WAS addicted - my addiction is completly gone...I still want a cigarette ocassionally...I know better, though - for me, one cigarette is like one drink to the alcoholic....however, I could have a drink any time and it doesn't hurt me...I don't become (or never have, anyway) addicted to alcohol.
0 Kudos
freebreath

Smoking is smoking. Why not quit? How does anyone who can count how many times they light up over anytime period understand themselves to be altering their brain only a tiny bit? Why do you smoke?

0 Kudos
hunter2

Read this book before you do anything:  

http://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com/

Makes quitting really easy, and you know what?  He encourages you to smoke as you quit!!

0 Kudos

an addiction is controlled by you until it's out of control

0 Kudos

I have a friend like that and she has tried to quit numerous times and she is so surprised at the strength of her addiction even though she smokes only once in a while.  We are all quitting this Thanksgiving, 12 of us and she is medicating.  Don't feel bad if you find you need it.

0 Kudos
tokinsmuse

I have quit, numerous times.  I have stayed quit for years at a time and then bang one day just start all over again.  Cigarette addiction is very powerful, and with me it seems an emotional event always triggers my return to it.  The last time my Mom passed away, and I couldn't handle the whole emotional thing that went along with it.  So, I am back to quitting again.,  Been quit since 11/13/09.  But I really want to stay quit this time.

0 Kudos
tooner

Is there a way to legally get an Rx for meds if you have no health care?

0 Kudos