cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ozzymom

So when does it get easier

So in 1/2 hour I’ll be vape free for 7 days.  I quit cigs around 2 years ago but now I’m trying to quit vaping & as i said, almost at day 7.  If nicotine is out of my system, why does it feel like it’s getting harder?  Yesterday I was soooo bitchy & nothing I did seemed to help.  I walked, I drank water, I played with my dog & was still extremely bitchy by the time I finally went to bed.  This morning I woke & have a full list of things to do but I can’t motivate myself to get up out of this chair & actually do any of them.  All I want to do is fire up my vape pen & have at it.  I mentally picture myself vaping & even knowing that those first few hits will hurt my throat, I still want to do it.  What the hell is wrong with me!!!  I’ve even thought about putting on a patch or chewing a piece of nicotine gum but really don’t want to go back to square one now that I’ve got 7 days under my belt.   I know a lot of you will reply that it DOES get easier but when the hell will that be!!

On a separate note, if anyone out there does vape as a way of doing NRT please think twice about it.  I think this is harder to stop than cigs cause you can vape anywhere...which i did.  I’m sure I was getting much more nicotine than when i was smoking cigs cause I vaped all day.  What the hell, there’s no smell so i could do it in my car, my house, wherever.  I know NRT is the way to go for some people but vaping seriously reinforces that hand to mouth thing as well as the hit to the throat & of course the nicotine.  

Ok I guess I’m done with my rant.  My list of chores isn’t going to wait & they need to get done with or without my vaping while doing them.  I’ll do my best to stay on track but damn, I wish it would at least START to get easier.

thanks everyone for listing to my pity party

23 Replies
AnnetteMM

I quit vaping, which I used as an NRT I guess. It was hard, no denying that, because that stuff is delicious.  But nicotine is nicotine, full stop, no difference to your body.  You've survived Hell Week, now it's on the the 1st 30 Days of Freedom. You can do this, even while your brain is screaming and having tantrums. It WILL calm down, believe it.

0 Kudos
shazzan99

Unfortunately there are two parts to quitting smoking, and despite what people think the absence of nicotine is far easier to deal with that the psychological thought. It is the fear of quitting and how your life changes because you have a "void". Have you read Allan Carr's book, Easy Way to quit smoking? There is a free copy available to read if you google Penquin books. Allan takes the fear out of quitting by explaining why we began smoking, our addiction, nicotine and how to view positive about making a terrific decision.

I quit cold turkey and no cravings after 72 hours. My husband read the book and virtually the same. (I did not) You have to have a positive mindset which you can gain with reading and knowledge. Accept and look forward to being a happy non-smoker rather than feeling you are being deprived and lost. It is as easy or hard as you make it. Be happy to finally having the tools to free yourself!

maryfreecig

It's a dependency (it includes addiction or addiction includes dependency). The absence of nicotine in your body does not cure the dependency--definitely does not right away.. The brain remembers the way it was. The nicotine took (from a cig--not sure on vaping) about 9 seconds or less to affect the brain (the part of the brain that says, yeah, give me more of that). 

Growing your smobriety will help you get over the dependency faster than waiting to feel better. But whatever you do, as long as you don't take nicotine, your brain is relearning life without.

I know it is frustrating to not have your brain work as it did when it was doped up on nicotine--try to remember why you decided to quit. 

With addiction recovery it is often said one day at a time is all we can do--please don't mess with your mind by thinking your heart should be in this. It is already in this--you haven't smoked for seven days. Who did that? You did. You decided. You worked it.      

So high five on 7!!! Keep the smober days coming. And great question!

Beck37

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is STOP thinking about it so much. If you are constantly thinking about vaping how can you move on? You’ve got to stay out of your head. Yes quitting is hard. It is a crazy ride. But this site is filled with people who have been successful. You might think your situation is unique but it’s not. Everyone here shares this addiction. 

You are the only one that can affect your success. It is all about your attitude. You can so do this!

Be Amazing...

Beck

marciem

re:  "the nicotine is out of my system"  the story of "3 days its out of your system and you're over the physical addiction".

Lies and Myths (IMO) told to folks in the first two days to keep them going.  MOST of the nicotine will be out of your system at 3 days apparently.  But there are many articles online showing that no, you aren't completely clear for weeks or even months.  You won't be craving for that long.

So ... say you quit eating for three days.  What does your body do?  It SCREAMS for food, that's what it does.  Your empty nicotine receptors SCREAM for nicotine when the are low, lower, empty... my worst craving day was day 4.  then slowly and surely the physical cravings abate.  Not "3 days and done" in my personal experience.

You still had habits or routines to go along with your vaping, similar to smoking cigarettes.  This are the hard part of quitting smoking.  New, healthy habits need to be formed.

I think with quitting vaping, as well as quitting smoking, the timelines are probably similar.  First week "Hell Week", second week "Heck week".  You will start to have golden days in there, hold on to them, they let you know what comfort is... but they can be fleeting at first.  Then they come more often and last longer periods.  

Everyone is different, there is no set date as to when it gets easier and easier and better and better, but it does ... or else none of us would be here smoke-free.

One day at a time, one craving, minute, five minutes, hour at a time.  As said, 'Fake it until you make it" and you WILL make it!  Keep busy and don't try to find that "click" moment when all is better... it will become more elusive that way, like the watched pot never boiling.

Best to you!!

shazzan99

You are right in that the watched pot never seems to come to a boil. 

Time does heal, but not if you count them as days suffered. I love the "bonfire" we have on this site where you count the unsmoked cigarettes. Mine are 3333 and I am free of their clogging my lungs and respiratory system. I am free of worrying about their long term affect on me. I have taken the steps to reverse and breathe easier. 

Maybe it is the positive thinking and better habits i chose to incorporate that made my cravings disappear after just 72 hours.  We don't wake in the night to smoke.  Nicotine is  93% out of our system by morning. We only have a few receptors by nature but have millions since smoking, and they do diminish and most are gone after 3 weeks. They only remain if you feed them nicotine.

Allan Carr in his book Easy Way has a way of alleviating all the fears we have with giving up our  "crutch" and there is no cognitive behaviour therapy, just good old common sense. I do recommend doing both. 

I believe these sites are designed to encourage quits, to unravel the lies of the cigarette companies and the social glamour that was depicted years ago by ads and movies. Once exposed , they no longer have the hold they once did. Once we are educated and stop burying our heads in the sand we can take measures to stand up and  fight back.

Attitude and belief go a long way. Knowledge is Power. Stay positive and achieve! Believe you can and you WILL.

indingrl

WELCOME AND CONGRATS ON 7 NICOTINE FREE DAYS! GOOD JOB!  Venting blogs are the BEST to just release all those pent up emotions and just life on lifes terms that are passed day by day in OUR willingness and acceptance -  I remember how I use to use MY DRUG NICOTINE TO ESCAPE MY LIFE AND TO COPE WITH MY LIFE TOO  and TODAY with your HELP and everyone who blogs or discusses their recovery from nicotine day by day and how they keep moving with one foot in front of the other - TOGETHER in His love and then I too will learn and be healed and learn to keep TRYING TO BE HELPFUL  and to keep growing and sharing just like you and everyone here in UNITY-  WITH ONE MIND .- WITH ALL HERE -  TO NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER! You are not alone and WAY TO GO on to YOUR OWN FREE NON SMOKER LIFE STYLE  - gentle hug.

0 Kudos
karenjones

you are very helpful.  very. 

0 Kudos
ozzymom

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply to me yesterday.  I made it through, kept my quit & I’m doing better this morning.  I kept myself busy & found there were in fact times when i wasn’t wanting to vape so that’s progress.  I did find out though that a good friend of mine is in the hospital for a possible, small heart attack.  She’s my age (mid 50’s), doesn’t smoke or drink, exercises & eats pretty well.  I gotta say that helped me stay quit yesterday.  If she could have a heart attack being as healthy as she is, what the heck & I doing to my heart if I keep vaping!  I’m going to visit her today so I’m sure that’ll be more motivation as well.

So one more question:  I’m new to site & want to make sure i understand how to navigate it.  

So the conversations are where we ask for questions/help & then the blogs are just my own personal musings that I put out there for everyone to read without expecting a reply?

thanks again everyone for the encouragement yesterday.  I really needed it!

maryfreecig

Great work staying smober!!! Blogs are open for replies and questions/conversations are. Blogs can be set for no reply if you wish, but I strongly recommend being open!!!  Keep the smober hours coming. Sorry to hear about your friend--but so good that she is getting treatment.

0 Kudos