cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

happy2read

So new I'm still tracking

I have decided I should quit but don't really want to quit. It looks crazy when I write it but there it is. I am a teacher and decided that summer, with less stress, would be the time to quit. But now that my kids are home I find that I am sneaking around to smoke. At 47 that is a bit ridiculous so it is quittin' time. I am very anxious about that first day of no cig with the coffee as I walk the dog =-(
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Susan59

Hey Happy,

Deciding to quit is the most important thing however you have to also want to quit. If you don't really want to it won't happen.

I am also 47 and had been smoking for 31 years. I decided to quit in February and have been smoke free since 2-25. I used the patch and it was very helpful. I can't say it was easy but this time was easier then previous attempts because I had truly decided to quit. Life is so much better without cigarettes. I have more money, I breathe better, I smell better, I never have to worry about going to get cigs or where I put them or if I have a light, or if I can smoke where I happen to be etc. It is amazing the amount of time I have back in my life now that I have quit.

Follow the EX plan and you can do this. If you would like additional reading and such go to www.whyquit.com It is a cold turkey site but it has a great deal of information that is helpful. Use whatever medicines you think are best for your quit. The patch is good...other have had good success with Chantix or gum etc.

This is an addiction and we are addicts. Once we come to terms with that and realize that our addiction will continue to try to prevent us from quitting it is easier. A physical crave for a cig only lasts 3 minutes. The first month or so I quit 3 minutes at a time. You can do this if you want to. You have to want it.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Peace Susan Day 133
0 Kudos
cindy25

I quit with the Ex plan and (like you) I was not really sure I wanted to quit. I followed the plan (to the letter) and quit in two or three weeks after starting here. It worked for me. focus on the negative aspects of smoking....not scare tactics...but the negatives to you (sneaking, stinking, etc). You CAN DO IT!
0 Kudos
cindy25

I quit with the Ex plan and (like you) I was not really sure I wanted to quit. I followed the plan (to the letter) and quit in two or three weeks after starting here. It worked for me. focus on the negative aspects of smoking....not scare tactics...but the negatives to you (sneaking, stinking, etc). You CAN DO IT!
0 Kudos
happy2read

Thanks for the encouragement!!
0 Kudos
happy2read

I am so glad to hear that you are smoke free even though you didn't really want to quit. I hate disappointing my kids every time I light up and I know all the health risks so I should quit even though I don't want to. Thanks for your encouragement.
0 Kudos
dawn28

Hi Happy!

I am not so new but I am still tracking. I have started over. I did so-so the first week and then totally lost track the second week. I am going into my third week and starting from the beginning again. I have done a few things. I no longer smoke in the car and I no longer smoke in the house. Like you, mornings are going to be really tough. I have decided to try and get through the 1st cup of coffee without a cigarette tomorrow. I will probably smoke immediately after but it is a step. Mornings are hardest for me. That is when I do most of my smoking. Good luck!

Dawn
0 Kudos
julied

We all have fears about quitting smoking, its a huge step into the unknown.

I'm 46 and smoked for 30 years. I quit on May 25.

Its not been easy, but I do feel healthier and happier with myself for not smoking.

I'm not beating myself up anymore telling myself to quit and not quitting. I spent almost 2 years beating myself up for being a smoker. I wanted to quit smoking but I wasn't ready.

I had to make the decision to never take another puff.

You can do it too 🙂
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Happy2Read,

Welcome....

Being a teacher you should be able to understand that "knowledge is power" right? I suggest getting more knowledge to increase you chances of success.

Do your students get anxious on the first day of school after being off all summer? Some will start the fisrt day with a very positive attitude and some will not. Which students usally have a better first day?

I received my degree and interviewing for jobs I have noticed that as time goes on that employers are less impressed with the GPA but all seem to view the degree as someone having a goal that is hard but attainable and accomplishing that goal.

You have a very similar situation. The goal of a Smoke Free Life. It can be hard but it is attainable and can be one of the best decisions you might ever make in your life if you are anything like me. You still seem like you want to fight this positive change in your life. Do you really want to keep sneaking around your kids? Do you want to teach your kids to sneak around you when they are doing something not good for them?

I have set up some groups here on EX that might help you gain wisdom and knowledge from others that have been in your shoes and are now smoke free and luving every minute of their new smoke free life. There are some really great posts and videos for your viewing in these groups that I suggest you spend some time at to give you a better chance for smoke free success. The Words of Wisdom, Tough Luv and Thanks and Praise groups. To release some stress and try to laugh or smile a bit during the journey I set up a word Games Room group and the Daily Pledge and Find a Quit Buddy groups could also help keep your smoke free journey once it gets started.

I am celebrating over 51 months smoke free and I found that pledging daily , going through the tough times with quit buddies, reading words of wisdom from other smoke free elders, getting some tough luv support when I was feeling weak , joking with others during their smoke free journey really helped me and many others build a strong foundation that I now hate cigarettes in the same type of way I thought they had to be in every part of my life. Now I am much better off and do not want even one puff ever again.

You have a important job as a parent and as a teacher. Do the right thing this summer. Do it for the right reasons. Look for the positives if you want it to go easier. Be proud that you no longer are sneaking and hiding a bad habit of voluntarily poisoning yourself. Stop before you teach your kids this bad habit.

Wishing you get an A+ on your "What I did this summer" report .

peace !
0 Kudos
angel6

I know this is kind of backwards advice, BUT if you don't really want to quit you won't make it. I tried in May, I knew i should quit but felt like it wasn't my decision. I felt like everyone was pressuring me. Needless to say I didn't make it. I did decide later that I really hate smoking, and now I am ready to quit. I have not smoked for One day, 12 hours, 54 minutes and 42 seconds.That is 24 cigarettes not smoked, saving $4.74. Life saved: 2 hours, 0 minutes.

If you are here you must have some desire to quit. So be honest with yourself, are you afraid to quit.... or simply don't want to quit.

Keep a positive attitude and your quit will stick! I was scared to death of my 1st day without a cig... Wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated it to be. Good luck!
0 Kudos