cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nevergiveup

Snoozer?

Laying in bed this morning very much a snooze button player. How long can I push this self care button until it becomes a stressor? Could it go hand in hand with being "one of those' types of people on this journey? Perhaps. Not beating myself up publicly really. Do plenty of that internally on this journey. Just asking for conversation. Patting myself on the back for not buying a pack of smokes last night when I ran out. Today will be a good day.

What type of riser are you?  

55 Replies
SuzyQ411

CONFESSIONS OF A DEDICTED SLEEPER

Well hello to another Snoozer like myself Sootie !

As a member of the working world for 30 plus years I dreamed of the day when I could literally bury that nasty. annoying alarm clock in the backyard‌. I vowed to do it on the day I retired. But I never did bury it. Because I am not only a snoozer but a very deep sleeper who requires more sleep than most people. Without that alarm clock, I would probably sleep right through scheduled appointments and other commitments.

(My Mom often told me how much she enjoyed the long, long naps I would take as an infant and young child. And how that meant, until my younger sister was born, that she could take a good nap for herself as well. So, what can I say except this sleep quirk of mine must be genetic, and I am not to blame!!)

Yet, in spite of my sleep issues, I was a dedicated worker and was usually early on the job for many of the same reasons that YoungAtHeart shared.

The kicker in this sleep conundrum actually came later in my nursing career when I opted to change to the the night shift so I could take grad classes during the daytime hours.‌ By that time, I had relocated and was near the Maryland shore, working for a nursing agency. Since I love the ocean, I would get off work about 7:15, grab a quick breakfast, use the restroom to change into my bathing suit and coverlet, then head for the beach either at Rehoboth or Assateague, depending on whether I was working in Delaware or Maryland.

Once at the edge of the sea, I would drink coffee while pondering the strength and rhythm of the waves, spend some time in the water, then nap with my alarm clock at my side. Once awake, I would return home to shower and get dressed for classes and then do the same things all over again. It felt like a charmed life.

Unfortunately I still carry vestiges of that tug to the "post-midnight life" and will sometimes pull an all-nighter or two, finding plenty to keep my mind and hands occupied. But, I pay a high price for that "luxury" as I need more sleep these days so my catch-up naps are longer, and it can take me up to a week to get back on a saner sleep / awake schedule.

As an added challenge to my sleep patterns, I have a room mate named Mr. Flurry who has recently become an early morning riser (similar to Christine13's kitty kat Ruby), and he's definitely imposed a kink into the mix. He has a pathetic yowl when hungry, so I begrudgingly tear myself from sleep to feed him -- often pre-dawn -- then re-set my alarm and grab a few more winks.

YUP! My name is Suzy and I am a snoozer.  

elvan

SuzyQ411‌ You are a hoot...I LOVE the story of sleeping on the beach.  I was never able to do that.  I worked nights for short periods of time, my shift was evenings when I worked at hospitals.  I never once pushed the snooze button on my alarm, it went off, I got up, simple as that.  My mother told me that I was a terrible sleeper and that she and my dad would pile four kids in the car and ride around to get me to sleep.  She told stories of them CRAWLING out of the bedroom so I wouldn't see them but said it never worked, LOL.  I am so frustrated with how tired I am all the time and how long it takes me to recover from say, going to the doctor (the only place I go).  I often sleep the entire next day.  What is WRONG with me?  Rhetorical question.  I have an appointment with my PCP on Monday and pulmonologist next week, the day after my annual low dose CT scan, rheumatologist March 12th...new one because mine retired. Maybe someone can come up with something.  

xoxo,

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

elvan 

Maybe a new set of eyes with the rheumatologist  might give you some relief ideas.  HOPING so!

elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ Me too...that's in March.  Someone needs to help me, I cannot do this alone.  My joints are wreaking havoc today, guess it's weather related.  Storm supposedly coming tonight.

Thanks xoxo,

Ellen

Barbscloud

Hope someone can help to give you some relief.  

Barb

SuzyQ411

heart.png

love you my friend 

pray that relief is on the way for you

xox 

Sootie

SuzyQ411‌  Good to meet another snoozer! I loved sleeping on the beach the summer I lived at the shore.....of course that was long ago in a galaxy far, far away (at least it feels that way!)

SuzyQ411

My 3 year beach experience was long ago as well: 1997-2000. But it hold a special place in my memory as does your summer on the shore 

0 Kudos
Trisha76

No alarm ever since I retired 10 years ago.  And I never schedule anything before 10 AM just because I don’t have to and I don’t want to.  After Working for 29 years I never wanted to set an alarm again and I love waking up slow and dozing off if I want.  Keep up the good work and just talk back to yourself whenever you think you need to go buy a pack because the cravings do go away.

Ralph1955

Every part of life leads us on a journey.  It's really up to Us to decide which path is best for us, our health and our strength.

I'm a grump riser so just lay around until I'm ready to face the day