cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dharmagirl

Smoking in the closet!

I have been a closet smoker off and on for thirty years. Many times I have lost a quit and been unable (or unwilling) to tell my friends and loved ones that I failed, so I just start smoking on the sly. I've gotten very good at covering up the smell of smoke and hiding my smoking. So in that state, not only have I had to deal with my own disappointment with myself for smoking, but also had to deal with the knowledge that I am being deceitful and sneaky. Tomorrow is my quit day. Wanting to be free of all this complication is a big motivation for me. Anyone else out there dealing with this issue?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
linda20

I know exactly how you felt. I would be waiting for family to leave so I could take a puff. Imagine that. I just went to the doctor for a check up and he listened to my breathing. I was totally relaxed instead of that anxiety he will "hear something" or "guess I smoke".
linda20

Hi J.K. You just have to do it. I went to a hypnotist on a Friday afternoon and had a session. He told me to come back on Monday for a second session so that was my first three days. I don't know if he helped as much as he thinks but he did get it in my head that deep breathing will relax me so I take deep breaths when I am anxiousl. That and practically LIVING in front of my pc all my free time reading and posting. It helped having people to whine to that didn't mind! I hope you reach into yourself and get whatever is needed to quit as you will never be sorry. Just remember, eventally you don't want a cigarette. Really. Oh, I get "thoughts" but that is all they are. I won't lie to you. I have never regretted quitting. Also, when you do quit, you can help others and that reinforses your own quit. Best of luck.
0 Kudos
pruie-jones

I was a closet smoker for a long time. Usually right after I had a public attempt at quitting. I would go underground for a month or two before the stupidity of the situation just forced me out into the open and I didn't care. The thing is....EVERYBODY knows you're smoking. You think that stink washes off that easily? It doesn't. They know. They're just bein' nice to you. But there is nothing wrong with failing. I tried to quit probably about 10 times before it finally worked and it's been 17 years now. hang in there.