cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

john-h

Small Steps

Wanted to share what's working for me. Been practicing this as I prepared to quit and began cutting back on smoking. Now to see if it really works beyond the cutting back (Only been smoke free about 14 hrs - so far)

What I do to help me through a trigger time or craving is to very slowly, purposefully and mindfully do a simple exercise with focus on my breath. (This is not a workout - it's almost a meditation in movement) For instance after my morning coffee I may just grab a free weight and do a bicep curl EXTREMELY slow - like 10 seconds lifting and 10 seconds going back down - I may repeat this 2 or 3 times at the most focusing on my breath and the movement (try it - man it's a tough little exercise and lasts only about 3 to 5 minutes ) Or I do a push up as slow as possible - again with focus. Next craving I may do a Yoga pose (so that I'm working different parts of my body through out the day while trying to get past the crave time). It also gets me to drink more water and forces me to breathe deeper. And the "time" it takes to do the exercise is about the same time I'd take to smoke - so that might have a psychological effect on me too. Who knows?

It has really helped me get past a trigger/craving (without taking up much time) and without realizing it, these small spaced exercises have already changed my body!!! In just a short 2 weeks of preparing to quit.

Maybe this will work for some of you too, If so let me know.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SaraSmile

That's great, John! You gotta do whatever works. Good thing your'e quitting, with all those muscles you wouldn't be able to bend your arm to smoke anyway, lol! I need to start exercising, the only thing I've been lifting is food to my mouth. Everything taste so good since I quit! I need to get a simple work out going. Hang in there, man. Sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and have thought things through, that's excellent! You can do this!
Sara
Prosper in peace
0 Kudos
manofsteele

Super idea.... you might get some more ideas about craves in the post - Crave Kits can Save Quits in the Words of Wisdom group ( plenty of other great articles there and some good videos too).

hope that helps ... keep up the good work !
0 Kudos
john-h

Thanks for the support you two. Went to the Crave Kits site - I never heard of Vicks under the nose, gonna pick some up tomorrow. I also have some drops coming from a friend on Monday that contain "real" licorice extract (some research suggests it triggers the same part of the brain as nicotine and helps with cravings). So far my plan includes the 3 to 5 min. exercise to get my mind focused off a craving, started on a Fri night as a quit day (so I'm not tempted to smoke with friends at work and so my sleep disturbance doesn't interfere with work), been on BuPROPion for a week and I'm avoiding a lot of phone time or keeping phone conversations short (I loved to smoke when on the phone). Going on here helps too. Planning this really makes a difference - having things for each of the steps increases my chances for success and for me the first 3 days are the hardest (since they're constant cravings). Once I get past that I can concentrate on more specific triggers versus that all day craving. I can't wait to try the Vicks rub lol
0 Kudos
john-h

Much Mahalo, trying the breathing and da stay busy
0 Kudos