cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nevergiveup

Side Effect of Chantix

So, this is my second attempt with Chantix. There are likely previous discussion on here about it...I honestly haven't tried searching for them. I'm okay taking the drug, but could use some pointers on dealing with the queasiness. Other people I've talked to who have take it, haven't experienced this particular side effect. Night time solution for me personally is going to bed immediately. Could use any suggestions for morning. I've tried eating substantially beforehand, doesn't help.

23 Replies
Corrie86

Hi Martha

It looks like we are in the same spot! I am on 3 DOF, but on day 14 of Champix. I am wondering if it's the same drug? Maybe mine is the Canadian version?

Anyways, I had nausea as well. Always took it after food. I was told to drink a whole glass of water with it, not just a gulp to get it down. On day 7, when I started my full dose, smoking made me feel like I had to throw up. After a couple days of that, I quit before my actual date because I couldn't handle the nausea anymore. Once I quit, the nausea subsided the next day. It might take a bit for your stomach to get used to the meds, just pound back the water! 

mommy2x45403

Champix is the UK version 

Jennifer-Quit

I was curious too if they are the same drug - did a little research and this is what I found:

Champix and Chantix are different names for the same drug, containing the same active ingredient, varenicline. Champix is the brand name given to the drug in Europe, whereas Chantix is the name given in the US. Produced by Pfizer, the drug is a smoking cessation treatment.

nevergiveup

Thanks for your response, Corrie. Guess we are! Didn't respond yesterday cause I was sick...after having taken my AM Chantix pill, with a full glass of water, no less.  Anyway, not smoking and glad that I am not alone.

Barbscloud

Congrats on your three days smoke free?  Might want to change your quit date for tracking.  I'm one of those folks that could only take Chantix for a few days.  Made me too sick to my stomach.   Hope it settles down for you.

Barb

nevergiveup

Yes, now five days smoke free. Thought I did change it, but perhaps I need to change it more than one place. Not certain if I'm continuing with Chantix. I don't handle severe nauseousness very well. Thank you!

sweetplt

Super on 5 days quit ...

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

If March 13th is right.  You're good.   Our posts may have been on different days.

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

No experience here using Chantix - but probably lots of useful information available by doing a  Google search.  Congrats to you on quitting!

nevergiveup

Thank you Jennifer!