cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Texadonia

Should I start all over again?

I'm a newbie here, trying to get through Day 14 after 50 years of smoking. Yesterday, I ran across a half-inch long cigarette butt on my front deck. It was mine, the remnant of the last cigarette I smoked before I left for a quit smoking retreat in Florida. It was tucked in a plant saucer that I sometimes used as an ashtray. 

There was no hesitation. I ran in the house to grab the one lighter I had kept on hand for lighting candles. Then I ran outside and fired up the butt. I took three quick hits before my rational self took over and destroyed the butt. 

My question to the community is this: Did I just relapse? Do I have the "right" to say today that I've been quit for 14 days or do I have to start all over again? 

Thanks

36 Replies
indingrl

CONGRATS DAY ONE

0 Kudos
Texadonia

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

There are so many ways to look at this--only you can decide.  Are you really helping the group by not fessing up?  Maybe they're having the same thoughts and sharing may help them see how easy it is to slip.  I don't know!    Anyway moving forward,   what are you doing instead of smoking?  Walking is great, chewing on straws, sour candy...   What's you're go to.

Barb

0 Kudos
Texadonia

My "go to" is the lowly cinnamon stick! I've got one in my hand or mouth nearly all the time. I suck on it, chew on it and inhale air through it, just like it's a cigarette. Next day, I start in on a new one. Cinnamon sticks are magnificent! Available in the spice section of any health food store. Everyone in our group is hooked on them.  (PS. I will think some more about telling the group about my slip. It's a condundrum!)

Thanks for reaching out. Really appreciate it. 

DavesTime

Cinnamon sticks were a big part of my quit arsenal, too.  I still use one occasionally when I get stressed--they are 100% nicotine-free and you can't light them (well, you could, but they wouldn't be very pleasant.)    Glad to have you here as you journey toward freedom!

Dave

412 days smoke-free after 47 years as a smoker

aboyd63

My only suggestion I can make is do whatever it takes to not smoke today or any day. 

Thank you for the cinnamon sticks suggestion I just went and bought some the stick helped the urge I had thank you so much for that. Glad your here you helped me. Remember you can do this.!!

Arlene 84. DOF

0 Kudos
Kboyd66

That's a good question texadonia i think it was a momentary thing and the realization of what you did by destroying the butt affects you into thinking you failed, you haven't you're are still on quit mode try cinnamon Stix me and my wife are trying them, that's a 50/50 question sorry I'm not sure about the starting over point maybe a member whose quit is longer than mines can answer that one I'm 83dof but take it easy on yourself and continue to stay focused on your quit ok 

0 Kudos