cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ahkhippiechic

Should I get tested for COPD?

I have never had a spirometry test.  I imagine I probably have COPD as I have smoked off and on for 45 years.  Should I be tested?  What are the benefits?  Are there meds that help or other ways I could help myself if I KNEW?  Is it important to know?  Scares me.......

23 Replies
ahkhippiechic

It’s good info and I need to hear it.  I don’t want to know if I have it even thought I suspect I do.  It feels overwhelming.  I know have been killing myself for years but facing it....that my friend is a different animal all together.  I work in the medical field and I recall a nurse telling me 10 years ago I could not pass a spirometry test and I was a regular runner until age 51 (I am 58 now). I will call my doc on Tuesday and have her send orders for the test.  It’s the right and the smart thing to do, I am just scared.  

0 Kudos
Giulia

If you're scared now, how much more scared will you be years later when more severe symptoms present themselves?  We can't play ostrich forever with our health.  If we take our head out of the sand earlier, we just might help our health, rather than later,  taking it out when it's too late to change anything.  Just having COPD doesn't mean you can't do something to take care of it.  It's like colon cancer screening.  Colonoscopies are not fun, the prep particularly.  But taking care of problems earlier than later can save lives or at least extend our lives.  Ya know?  Same is true with COPD.  Finding out where we are, gives us a baseline. 

Yes, getting tested IS kind of acknowledging the fact that we may have been killing ourselves for years by smoking. And yes, that real acknowledgement is scary.  But you joined this site.  Is that scary?  Isn't that also an acknowledgement of the same thing?  The need to quit because we've been killing ourselves for years by smoking?  Signing up on this website is the first commitment we make.  We know what we need to do.  Change is scary.  But we know instinctively what's best for us.  You've chosen what's best.  Keep heading in that direction.  

johio

ahkhippichic:

Your comment hit home hard with me......I was afraid to get tested because I didn't want to hear the result and when I did I was in denial thinking I could cure this without treatment or meds. I smoked for 50 years but was a runner and worked out regularly and I thought I was bullet proof and was going to live forever......

Reality had a way of making me grow up...even in my 60s. 

It's a simple test and if you discover you don't have any degree of COPD....let's have a party...dance in the streets.......but if you discover you have some degree of the disease.....you will have to face some tough facts as many here have done: 1.  There is no cure.  2.  It is progressive...it will get worse  3.  You can slow the progression down with treatments, education and meds....I felt that I knew where I had been (smoking for 50 years), and that I had to determine where I was (That baseline Dale talked about) to determine where I was going. I could either let it progress or fight...I chose to fight....I felt that if I had the opportunity to add even a week of quality time to my life would I do it? Pretty much a "No Brainer"

Jeep

I was diagnosed with having COPD many years ago. I continued my smoking and other damaging habits until this year when I changed doctors and went through a history of my health habits with a VA doctor. It was extremely embarrassing for me to truthfully describe my habits and history, I’ve been blessed with excellent health despite my habits, except for COPD. I would not go to a big box store because I couldn’t walk that far without resting and waiting to get my breath back. I finally realized I was not bullet proof and needed to be responsible for my health. I cut back smoking the first of September then found this site and was forced to do a quit day. The 19th of September. I now walk about a half mile a day with no problem and am beginning to believe I can function and live a more productive life even though much damage has been done. My breathing problems will not get much better but it is already a world of difference from when I was smoking. Thanks to all of you and your support. “Breathing better at 76.”

ahkhippiechic

Yeah, I don't think you can say F... on this site.  but F...!   I wrote my provider yesterday evening and asked her to write orders for the test.   Did not sleep.  In the midst of withdrawal blues does not help I am sure......

F....

0 Kudos
Giulia

GOOD to take action!  We have to get our heads out of the sand sometime!  lol

ahkhippiechic

Thomas3.20.2010‌ et AL!   update on spirometry testing;  Required to have referral to a Pulmonologist.  Takes 4 weeks to get appt.  Then maybe testing depending on what he/she thinks needs to be done.  Will keep you posted.  Wish I could just get it done now since I have decided to do so....POOP! (oh wait that is another discussion....! ) 

0 Kudos
Roller831

Wish there was a LOL button!  Good for you for taking the first step in getting the spirometry test!  And hopefully, the other discussion is moving along by now....

0 Kudos
elvan

Hey, you are doing better than I did.  It took over three months to get an appointment with a pulmonologist here and then another two months to get the spirometry testing done.  I was very short of breath and it had already been over a year since I quit so I was pretty relentless about pushing for an appointment.  

roller831‌, I was thinking the same thing that an LOL button would be good for ahkhippiechic‌'s comment.

Ellen

Hang in there! You'll soon know! Doctors should make these things more accessible but believe it or not, they overlook it more often than not! You're absolutely doing the right thing!