cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ahkhippiechic

Should I get tested for COPD?

I have never had a spirometry test.  I imagine I probably have COPD as I have smoked off and on for 45 years.  Should I be tested?  What are the benefits?  Are there meds that help or other ways I could help myself if I KNEW?  Is it important to know?  Scares me.......

23 Replies
bonniebee

I smoked for 52 years and I w uld say heavily there were times in my life that I smoked 2 to 3 packs a day in the last 20 years i got it down to about 25 cigs a day . Every time  that I went to a doctor they would comment on how bad my lungs sounded and I knew it myself from all the coughing and wheezing I endured . ( one reason that I quit ! ) I was given Spirva at one point but gave it up because I did not want to be breathing in medicine on top of the smoke and i thought my lungs may have become dependent on the inhalers . 

since i quit my lungs have really improved I never got tested but the doctor who checked me just a few montha after i quit could not believe how improved my breathing sounded . I will not get tested unless my lungs should suddenly become affected as an ex- smoker .  I am sure others who know more about the benefits will come along to answer your questions . I am a believer in "Your food is your medicine " so I try to stay away from  chemical meds of all kinds as much as possible !

ahkhippiechic

That is encouraging!  Dr’s have never said my lungs sounded bad so maybe that is a good thing?  I ran a marathon at age 50 and commercial fished, pretty active (hikes every year from 7-15 miles every couple of weekends) etc up until last year when I got really sick and was Dxd with Chronic Epstein Barre.  Never taken an inhaler.  I am a vegan and have been for many years but I still eat my share of sweets, just vegan ones.  Work hard at eating all organic (sometimes hard in AK!).  Probably need to get away from grains....dont’ want to!   just gonna finish my quit and am going to stop worrying about COPD beause you took the time to encourage me.

thank you!!  

0 Kudos
bonniebee

I became a vegetarian in January not quite vegan because I still eat eggs a few times a week and cheese once in a blue moon ! I had or have Lyme disease 2 times once in 2014 and again this summer

and it got me started on cleaning up my poor eating habits and smoking the first time i got it in 2014 . Just got over taking antibiotics for it about a month ago kind of wish I didn't take them, never sure if they worked or not . Long story.... but anyway it is really up to you whether or not to test for COPD .

Giulia

If you have insurance I would say "yes" to a spirometry test.  Can't hurt but it can help.  Thomas3.20.2010   has been a strong advocate for getting tested and because of him I did.  Turns out I have "mild" COPD.   That knowledge prepares me for the future.  THAT is one of the benefits.  At the moment I have barely any symptoms.  But understanding the nature of COPD and the progression, will enable me to understand what to do when and if  those symptoms present themselves.  Knowledge is power.  

"Are there meds that help or other ways I could help myself if I KNEW"     YES!

I'm with G. Good to see where you're at and get a baseline.

elvan

ahkhippiechic‌ It's up to you...my lungs sounded terrible for a long time before my "official" diagnosis.  I could not have run or hiked to save my life.  My COPD has progressed and clearly has a mind of its own.  I do my very best to take care of myself now...probably should have started a long time ago.  I am in awe of you and how well you are doing...keep it up.  You decide what testing you want and when you want it.  If your lungs always sound clear and you are not noticing any shortness of breath...ask your doc and go from there.  I was REALLY sick and at first, I felt much better after I quit smoking and then all kinds of terrible things happened and I ended up needing surgery and I felt much better after that...BUT, the disease marches on, I am sure it is moving slower because I no longer smoke and I DO my best to take care of myself but I really wish it would cut me a break...it sometimes seems relentless.  You quit a long time earlier than I did and you certainly sound healthy...I am very proud of you.

XOXO,

Ellen

ahkhippiechic

Thank you!  You are my champion on this quit!  I can’t run a mile since last year though   walk a couple every day though, but I have to force myself.  

0 Kudos
elvan

I can use a stationary bike...I could not run if I was being chased by a monster....if you feel short of breath going up stairs, talking when you are walking, catching your breath when you are laughing...those were all signs for me.  I wheezed, I could not catch my breath when I was able to walk quickly or trying to run.

I am really glad I have been able to help you at ALL.  That makes everything worthwhile...

Ellen

0 Kudos

OK ahkhippiechic‌ You probably know what I'm going to say but "hear" me out! COPD will not be like pneumonia or other lung ailments that comes on suddenly although getting upper respiratory infections can lead to you finally getting the diagnosis (as in my case.) 

The reason I advocate so strongly for Spirometry is that, yes, you can avoid those URIs that actually make your baseline drop every single time! This last bout of URI I had back in January took 15 percentage points off of my lung capacity in a couple of days - and it never comes back! Had I had an early diagnosis I may have prevented the condition I'm in now. But I had to get a URI with a temperature of 102 degrees before COPD was ever discovered for me.

That's the thing about COPD it is a progressive illness that only has one direction and that's down! 

Another thing to keep in mind is that emphysema sneaks up on you! You know you're maybe not as agile as you used to be but we have a definite ability to deny what's happening - "I'm getting older'" "that hill was especially tough!" "I just need a rest for a second." 

The good news about early diagnosis is that the sooner you get the news you can do so many self care and management things for yourself you can actually slow the progression of the disease which means you have longer to live a healthy active lifestyle. There is specific diet, exercises, and yes, meds that you really do need and you really can help yourself prevent further ongoing damage. But you have to know first.

Keep in mind that the test doesn't give you COPD - it only lets you know that you already have it. In some cases ignorance is bliss but COPD isn't one of them!

OK I'll jump off my soap box now and just say - 

CONGRATULATIONS on a spectacular Quit Journey!