cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

Shortness of breath

For the last week I have had major nausea, weakness, and reflux. I thought at first it was food poisoning. I had made egg salad with from eggs I had hard boiled about three days before. They smelled OK but after taking two bites I spit it out because I think they were rancid. We all thought it was food poisoning. Two days ago I started having my  body shake so noticeably that my family is making me lay down, my sternum hurts and I can't take a full breath. Thought it was the chantix but I've been on it for nearly 2 months with no problems. I'm just wondering if anyone had shortness of breath during their process of quitting? I know I should go to the emergency room but I really cant afford it at $500 just to walk in the door and more $ for any treatment I need, and I don't want to sit there for 4 hours before being seen. I know that's what most of you will say to do and you're more than likely right, but I was just wondering if anyone else had these symptoms. You all are not only my quit supporters you are compassionate, loving people and I know you can help me figure out what to do next (besides the ER if there's another cause).

Julie   21 DOF. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Elle047

Julie, I sincerely hope you start feeling better soon! Do you have a history of heart issues? Do you have a fever? Anyone else sick?

0 Kudos
minihorses

I have high blood pressure but the medicine I take keeps it in check very well. No one in my whole family has heart problems, no fever and the only thing we have is allergies. I just don't know what could cause it. 

Julie

0 Kudos
Tabbiekat

I didn't have the shortness of breath, but the sternum was hurting from reflux, had the nausea and shakes, it was not until I developed the high fever that I went to the ER. It was my gallbladder. You know your body. I would highly recommend if a fever, vomiting or lightheartedness develops go to the ER, and if nothing else call and see if you can get into see your doctor tomorrow. Keep drinking water as dehydration can happen fast. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

0 Kudos
minihorses

Thanks! I don't think it's gallbladder related because my back doesn't hurt. Everyone I know of that had gallbladder issues had a sore back. I know it's not from withdrawal from cigarettes because those went away after 2 weeks of hell. I'm a diet Mt. Dew addict but haven't had any in a week due to the reflux. I've been sticking to green tea and water. 

0 Kudos

I wish I knew

0 Kudos
elvan

minihorses‌ As a retired ER nurse...I can tell you that it is very unlikely that you would have to wait four hours to be seen with your symptoms.  They would likely put you on a monitor and oxygen and do some blood work on you to see if there are increases in what are called cardiac enzymes.  They may or may not take a chest xray.  No one can tell you what to do...I certainly cannot confidently advise you.  I understand the $500 deductible being a huge deterrent but I have to say, if this gets worse or does not improve, you really need to be seen.  The pain may or may not radiate down your arm or up to your jaw, you may feel increased anxiety and shortness of breath. If the pain is relieved at all with changing position, it is likely not your heart.  Somehow, you really need to take some deep breaths to get some extra oxygen to your heart.  You might try putting either an ice pack or a heating pad on the area that hurts to see if anything changes.  If it's muscular or skeletal, it might help.  If you have any aspirin, it is not going to hurt to take one and stay in a somewhat elevated position.  Do you have urgent care where you are?  They are a little cheaper but if they think it is cardiac, they are going to send you to an ER anyways.  Wish I could offer more advice but it's impossible to evaluate someone without some testing.  Can you take your pulse?  Does it seem strong and regular?  Are you sweating a lot?  Has your color changed...i.e. are you paler than usual or do you notice any change in the color of your lips or nailbeds?  I have probably just sent you into orbit.  Take it easy and do what you feel that you need to do, whatever that may be.

Ellen