cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jlynne

Setting Myself up to be a Quitter

Hi all I just wanted to make this quick so I copied and pasted my blog (first one on here) to introduce myself to you all. I am a 36 year old woman who has been smoking off and on since I was a pre-teen. So I am ready to try this whole quit thing yet again. Although I am not doin so hot this afternoon at all. I went to the store at around 12:15 this afternoon to get cigarettes and have since then, smoked THREE. The best thing that keeps happening is I light one and then take a drag or maybe two and then put it out!! The bad thing about that is I keep getting headaches (surges) when I smoke. So I guess the time is nearer than I thought to put them down for good. The smell alone makes my head hurt!! It feels like a hangover headache and only increases in pain with every cigarette I smoke.

So why then, do I continue to do the one thing that causes so much pain? I can answer myself on that question! Addiction to the habit I picked up when I was to young to care. I believe there is physical addiction and then there is addiction to habits. I am addicted to air, good clean smelling air. I am addicted to the habit and rituals that come with smoking. That makes me angry because I am a strong woman who has survived a lot of junk and yet I cannot seem to beat this? I will someday or it will kill me.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
reenie

Dear JLynne,
I'm so happy you stopped in...and even happier that your doing your best to get on the road to 'recovery'. You are so right when you say that nicotine is an addiction and we gradually work up to however many cigarettes we were smoking and our bodies and gray matter can't immediately adjust to the withdrawal. I have been smoking for 41 years and on most days 1 1/2 packs and recently (28 days ago) tried the Nicotine Patch. I am amazed!!! I've had cravings but none that I couldn't handle. I did however need to keep a positive attitude and adjust my normal routine a bit. When I first started, I wore the patch at night so that initial urge wouldn't get me started in morning, I watered down my coffee and sat in a different room than I normally did. I now don't wear the patch at night and was able to start a 'new morning routine'. Just small adjustments like that can make the world of difference. Also, I've been eating jelly beans, red ones, thoughout the day. Not too many to make a difference in calories but enough to satisfy that oral fixation. Read, post , join a group and keep coming back!!!
Reenie
0 Kudos
jlynne

Reenie,
I am a stress smoker, a gotta have a smoke when I am driving especially if I am stuck behind an idiot who does not know where the excelerator pad is. So I guess I am a stress smoker all around. When I have the money I plan on getting a BUNCH of Twizzlers because that worked the last time I quit. I was able to quit for six months and then all hell broke loose when I heard that my kids dad was in a horrific motorcycle accident of which our kids witnessed. Of course my first thought was, give me a cigarette!! Man six months down the drain! I was so stressed I didn't even THINK to go for the Twizzlers. lol Go Figure.
JLynne
0 Kudos
lorelai

Hi there. I'm not up to the actual quit part yet, I'm in the process of re-training myself. Again. I am a 41 year old female, began smoking habitually at 15. I quit for a couple of years in my mid 30's and started back during my divorce from my wet-end ex-husband.
I hear you on the whole "why do I keep doing this" question. I am so sick of my habit I actually resent it, but I keep doing it. I am an addict. I am also an alcoholic, sober now for over 3 years. I think part of my problem with just finally letting go is the fact that I will be
releasing my last "crutch" to get thru life. Not that I need one now. My life is pretty great. It's just an excuse. I spent 3 months in rehab
and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I'm still afraid and I'm not really sure why.
Lke you, I am also a strong woman, and by God, I think we can do this. You hang tough.
0 Kudos
nancy23

Hi JLynne,
Don't think of it as six months down the drain. That was six months you weren't polluting your lungs and harming many other parts of your body. It takes most of us several or many attempts to quit to stay smoke free for good.

When you 're ready try again and I would suggest going over the info here about how to handle your triggers. You went through an awful lot, so I think you did amazing. When you're ready just try again and arm yourself with all the info this site has to offer.

Good luck to you.

Nancy
0 Kudos
nicole5

🙂 I think you have it backwards with the bad thing --- it is technically a good thing that smoking causes your head to hurt... just gives you one more reason to quit... 😄

I'm using my stubborness to help fuel my desire to quit. People said I wouldn't/couldn't quit. So I'm going to prove them wrong. I smoked off and on since I was about 12yo... More on then off in the past six years...
0 Kudos
lorelai

You go, girl. From one stubborn one to another...
0 Kudos