cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JuliePatricia

Sadness about upcoming quit date.

My quit date is about 3 weeks away. It sounds crazy I'm sure. But the prospect of quitting makes me sad. I feel like I'm about to lose my biggest most reliable friend. The one who has always been there for me no matter what.   

14 Replies
Giulia

You are not alone in that feeling.  A good article on that very topic:  My Cigarette, My Friend by Joel Spitzer 

You can put "best friend" in the search box upper right and you'll be amazed at how many blogs there are on the topic.  But It's Gonna Be Okay‌.  If we can do it, YOU can do it.

Suzinut

I totally understand what you are feeling.  Today is day 1 for me after having 50 days...and thinking I could have one.  I feel the same way too.  But we have to remember it is the addiction talking...its not real.  We will push through together.  It is doable, and you learn to live without them. It is a process....We can do this!

green1611

Commmmmooooooon ! 

IT IS NOT FRIEND...IT'S ENEMY ...

You will realise this after few days of quit !

Join the DOF journey, we are counting, and with you to give you morale support !

All the best !

Nope, not crazy at all. I remember crying while having my last cigarette, because I felt the same way. I was a smoker, it's who I was. But turns out I'm the same person still...I just don't smoke anymore. Just like I don't run around in skimpy clothes like I did when I was younger , now I don't smoke like I used to. You can change as a person, and quitting smoking will be a good change! Keep close and reach out for support as you work through your quit! 

Troutnut1

I felt like that. And I find it very sad that you do too. That “friend” took everything I had and wanted more. Made me stink. Stole my money. Looking back now, it was clearly an abusive, one-sided relationship from the start. And I was severely co-dependent in addition to suffering from the disease of addiction (now more affectionately called “substance use disorder”. Once I got a little ways away from it I started being able to see it for what it was. I was dually addicted to alcohol as well so I had to deal with that first, as alcohol kept leading me back to that FIRST puff. I finally had my last drop of alcohol on 11/21/1998. After much struggle, and many failed attempts, I had my last PUFF of 2/28/2001. Just in time. My “friend” gave me a parting gift of severe emphysema. What a friend! I no longer miss him. He tried to kill me so many times. I healed from him, alcohol, tobacco, and co-dependency. I have a great life now and I don’t miss him a bit. In fact, I can hardly believe that I ever let him live in the same house with me. My suggestion? Kim that ‘friend” to the curb and find some real friends who aren’t actively trying to kill you. All the rest of us here are over 21 and can buy and smoke sickarettes anytime we want to. But we have found better and are doing better. Join us. You can always go back to smoking if you don’t find not smoking to be better. But give it a REAL chance. Not just a couple of days or weeks. Maybe a year or two. At least then you will know what its like to live with that “friend” and without. Early in my quit I wondered if I would go back if I knew an asteroid would destroy the planet in a few days. I know now, the answer is NO WAY!