cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lisaml

Sad, SAD.

Today, I was at a gas station to fill up. My daughter wanted some gum, so I went in. Passing through the entrance, there was a gentleman who appeared to be homeless. 

Yall. 

He was going through the ashtray outside the gas station collecting butts he could smoke. He was digging for ones that had something left on them, clearly. 

This broke my heart. The level of desperation and despair is too much. How powerless we are over this addiction, at times. Literally brought this poor gentleman to his knees, digging through trash. 

Truly, there but for the grace of God go I. 

Anyway, not much to say about it, but a stark reminder of how strong this addiction is. 

Take care of eachother . Xoxo 

13 Replies
Mandolinrain

Truly a moment to reflect on how blessed we are. We have this site, each other and support. I will be praying for that soul tonight for sure.

Lisaml

WELCOME BACK nancy!!!!        

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Wish that were true.  Lots of educated people smoke.  I've always been amazed when I'm at the hospital how many of the staff smoke.  They see the end result everyday.  

Welcome back Nancy

0 Kudos
elvan

Yep...as a retired RN who saw the results of smoking all the time...from radical surgeries to heart attacks to strokes to COPD to cancer...amazing that this addiction is so powerful it convinces us that we have "time" ...I am here to tell you that we do NOT have time. There does come a time when it is too late, I am experiencing it. 

I think the idea that smoking is seen as something people with little education do was a HUGE factor in my quitting...perhaps even more than my huffing and puffing and KNOWING how sick I was getting.  I hated appearing to be as ignorant as I felt.

Hugs to all,

Ellen