cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BHnCA

SLIP FEELS LIKE I WAS AMBUSHED

I slipped today. Before anybody tries convincing me my reason is based on a flimsy excuse, I would be inclined to challenge them.  I’ve been doing good in my first 7 days of not smoking. I even got thru the first most difficult 3 days and was finally feeling like I can DO this. Going off the patches made the effort a little more difficult, but I was sticking with it. In the last 3 nights, though, I’ve been woke up twice from sound sleep with severe headaches caused from occipital neuralgia (diagnosed 2 years ago) which was treated successfully with gabapentin.  I since ran out of that medication, but was told the 6 month dose was probably enough to settle the nerves down.  Now the nerve/s is/are apparently ticked off, again, and with a vengeance. When these headaches strike it feels like a meat cleaver has been buried in the top of my head.  It’s an intense, icy, stinging pain that gradually radiates acrossed my head. My eyes water and it takes everything I have to just breathe through the pain with an ice bag on top of my head, and wait until it starts settling down, then I have a mild headache for the following 24 hours. Sometimes it’s so bad it feels like the top of my head had been ripped open and my immediate reflex is to grab my head to hold it together, because it feels like ice cold air is rushing into my skull.  NOT fun.  I’ve had a full series of MRI’s and CT scans before to rule out things like a stroke; occipital neuralgia is the confirmed diagnosis. As if the fear of continuing to have these fierce and unexpected headaches isn’t enough, another problem arose today - GETTING a refill for the medication that treats the cause.  And it’s not because I don’t have excellent insurance.

This afternoon I discovered that GETTING a refill is next to impossible, because the neurologist who prescribed it is no longer within my hospital system. A new neurologist was assigned to me awhile back and my first appointment was to have been 2 months ago. They changed that appointment to May 24th, though and, last week they called, again, and pushed it out even further, to June 22nd. Meanwhile the headaches had started coming back, so I requested them to, at least, order me a refill till I could SEE the new doctor. The nurse said “no problem, we commonly do that, especially when we are the ones rescheduling appointments.”  What a relief!  Fast forward to May 21st, when the pharmacy called and said the new doctor would NOT order a refill after all. So I called the neurologist’s office for help. They were no help at all, because the new doctor wasn’t the one who originally ordered gabapentin for me. I get it, but when I asked what I should do under the circumstances, the receptionist told me “call you’re primary doctor, that’s what she’s for.”  

That was no help, either, because my doctor is on vacation till the end of a June and nobody will order me a refill without seeing me first, plus I was told a neurologist would have to order gabapentin, anyway, vs my primary doctor (an internist). I get that, too, so I asked if I they have a neurologist working in Urgent Care Clinic? She didn’t think so, but would check, but I already know the ONLY neurologist who works at that hospital has already pushed my appointment out to the end ofJune.  I even told them I am so afraid of the headaches that I am willing to drive to another neurologist within 100 miles if they could just get me in, but that plea was to no avail either.  So I wait and just pray I don’t have any more headaches in the meantime. Not one of my better days.

So yeah, I slipped. And even when I did I knew damn well it’s not going to change anything I’m experiencing at this moment, but I made the choice to give in because I was a train wreck and all I wanted was SOMETHING that would relieve my frustration and tears even if it was only a temporary fix.  I’ll get back to my quit, I swear. I just don’t think it’s going to be today is all.

82 Replies
elvan

I am using a very uncooperative tablet to respond and this is my third try.  PLEASE remember that we all want you and everyone else who comes here to succeed, Roejo‌.  Sometimes things might seem harsh that are meant to help...no one here wants to hurt anyone else and everyone here has been where you are.  Some of us many times, I am sorry to say.  Please consider that you may be more raw than usual and you might not be able to really interpret the writer's intent.

I have to post this before I get on to FOUR tries!  

XOXO,

Ellen

Giulia

Obviously (I assume) I'm one of the "supporters" whom you're taking umbrage with. Please don't leave the site just because of what a couple of us said that you find offensive or that didn't work for you .  We're only one or two as opposed to all the many responses that were loving and filled with the kind of support you like and think is best.  As we say here over and over and over again - take what you like and leave the rest.  

Nobody is here to ridicule and shame another member on their journey.  Nobody's problems are less important  than another's on here. NOBODY feels unsympathetic to those who have failed.  We've been there, we KNOW what it feels like.  Sympathy is a given.  But we all speak our truths about this addiction and how to combat it in our own way.  If we didn't speak our truths in our own way - what's the point of us being here?  We'd all be just clones of each other.   I'm beginning to wonder whether perhaps my way is just better removed.

Don't let a few hard core responses destroy your faith in the power of the support on this site.  If you don't like the responses from certain people you have choices as to how to deal with them.  You can A) not read their response when you see their avatar, B) tell them you don't want them to respond on any of your content.  Or you can just leave the site because of a few attitudes you find hurtful.  The latter would be the worst case scenario.  Because there is an amazing amount of great support here.

karenjones

If this has blown your faith, your faith was not very strong. The writer was saying she smoked but had an excuse. she needed to hear that that was her addict talking. and if your addict came to this site and started bull shitting  you would hear that your addict is talking.   Riducle and shame??? I didn't notice any.  I noticed truth.  Speaking truth to addiction.  No sympathy for addiction.  Addiction is addiction pure and simple.

Roejo

Please stay off my email. I promise you I won't return to the site. I don't need your kind of "support" in my life.

Barbscloud

BHncA, I for one hope you don't leave.  We need different perspectives and different types of support.  What works for one, may not work for another.  I TRY to take what works for me and ignore the rest.  Enough said.

Kbloodless

To quote Dan Harmon, the creator of Rick and Morty, “your feelings are real, but they are not reality” your feelings are absolutely valid, you feel ambushed, you feel setup to fail, that’s real, but were you? The reality is most likely, no. I have BPD and I’ve self medicated with Tobacco, Cannabis, Alcohol, blunt force trauma... I’ve quit 3-4 times and this will be my last(if it’s not I won’t let myself feel guilt or shame, I’ll jump right back on the quit train when able, asap), the guilt or shame or blame never helped me. A friend of mine recently quit for a week then started smoking again, she has PTSD,  it is indeed a crutch, a distraction, in a way self medicating. Talking to her after her “giving up” her quit was like talking to myself. I told her, to quit again as soon as she can but not to feel shame, as that shame can be like sinking in mud, gripping you so long and strong, that it’s so hard to quit again and buck those, I’ll quit tomorrow addiction mantras out of ones head. Exercise is a great medication too, sun bathing, walking barefoot outside. I suggest looking into biohacks! And I empathize with your very real pain it sounds excruciating. Back to the reality of feeling ambushed though... I’ve felt ambushed before, triggers can do that, they trigger us and if we don’t have our new coping skills or options strongly in place the only ones we see are our old ones, like smoking. Something that helped me really love myself after this quit, and my last one that involved the “quitters flu”(which was very horrid), was, I’d touch my chest open palm, and I’d say to myself “thank you lungs, I love you, you’re doing your best for me, and I’m grateful to you, I’m grateful to have you working hard for me, and I’m grateful to be here, I love you, thank you, I’m sorry I don’t always take care of you.” I would do this whenever my breathing felt hard, my chest felt heavy, I now do this whenever I feel extremely triggered, I touch my chest with open palms, or any part of me that feels tense, and say” I love you, thank you for working hard so I can be here, thank you heart, for pumping all my blood, thank you lungs for breathing, I love you”. I’ve found that smoking or drinking, is a way to numb myself, and in a way it’s self harm similiar to blunt force trauma.. and learning to love what my body does do for me, even or especially when it’s in pain, has helped me change how I choose my coping patterns and it’s still a work in progress. I think I’m quit like 4 months now? and I’ve read on here that after two sets of holidays pass on your quit, it’s easier and it becomes normal to not smoke, I feel like it’s already normal.... usually... but being around family that smokes or when I cry or am stressed, sometimes my mind flutters there, and I remind myself, two sets of holidays, I’m just thinking about it cause I’m used to it distracting and numbing me, which in a way is good, from pain, but it won’t heal it, so two sets of holidays, and by then I’ll have things that heal my triggers that aren’t tobacco, or other forms of self harm. Like taking a shower, seeing a therapist, taking a walk, taking a nap! Saying a grateful mantra... I know you’re in pain, I believe in you! And I believe you have the power inside you, to do whatever you want to in this lifetime, I sincerely believe you were born, to be you, and that you are beautiful, like everyone else! ❤️ another friend of mine struggles with cocaine addiction, she says everything seems to be testing her, and I say, it is test, we choose our reality, but none of the triggers are going to disappear, they’re there, to remind us, we choose our reality, we choose if we smile, we choose if we hangout with people that smoke, we choose if we smoke because we see other people smoking, we choose if we give ourself a big hug, or guilt ourselves for smoking... we choose this life, and we choose the bends and turns we walk down. ❤️ maybe suffering, is just something we need, to teach something to ourselves, we wanted to learn. I think Ive suffered so that I can empathize better with others who suffer, and I think I’m crawling out of suffering so I can lead by example. Because I love me, and I love you. and I believe you can have anything you want for yourself in this lifetime. and I know what it’s like to not believe that it’s true.

BHnCA

Your message reminds me of Ticht Naht Hanh’s mindfulness writings regarding these incredible bodies we inhabit and how we need to acknowledge and give thanks for all the wonderous parts that keep us alive and well.  We do take that for granted, sometimes, but especially when we are in the grips of addiction.  This journey has brought my attention back to the benefits of self-soothing, in much the same manner as you.   Since joining EX, I’ve learned how varied everybody’s journey is or was. I don’t know if my journey is better than anybody else’s.  I DO know, though, that I’m starting to enjoy not smoking more than smoking.  It doesn’t mean I’m in denial regarding my vulnerability, though; we’re all fragile creatures in this process, but I stay focused on the end result.  I wish you all the best with your efforts and thank you, again, for your message. Keep doing whatever you have to for staying healthy! 

Kbloodless

thanks I’ll look into those writings. I really love the excommunity it’s great. Just reading stuff like your post the conversation and responding keeps me going when I experience powerful triggers!

0 Kudos
elvan

Glad you are here and that you realize what an incredible community this is.  I had more than one failed quit...before THIS one which started over four years ago...I promise you that it gets easier.

Ellen

There's no appropriate place to post this so here it goes -

from Thomas to BHnCA‌ with a Huge Hug!

Image result for i am not my disability