cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cfbays

Remembering Why - Pressing On

Today is the 8th day of my Quit and no it hasn't been easy, but it wasn't easy being a slave to my addiction. About 45 days ago I found out that I had a tumor in my parotid gland and would that I would need parotidectomy surgery to remove it. Although my doctor didn't tell my smoking caused the tumor I knew it most certainly didn't prevent it nor would it benefit my future health. For me, it was a big warning sign that I needed to stop being so careless with my life and that I needed to stop smoking. I immediately asked my doctor to prescribe something to help me stop smoking and he gave me bupropion. I took the pills for a little over 3 weeks while I continued to smoke. I kept saying to myself I wasn't quite ready. Every cigarette I lit up tasted horrible; the bupropion was doing its job. By now surgery was 6 days away and I was still puffing away. I realized I was playing a game with myself and If I was going to quit I needed to start. That day I threw away all my emergency packs as I smoked my last one. Since that day I haven't picked up one. N.O.P.E!  Some days it's harder than others.

My surgery was 3 days ago. I'm on the healing side and all the anxiety that I had leading up to the surgery is now gone. The surgery is behind me but that old addiction is right there saying, "hey everything is ok now, let's go have a smoke", but I don't answer that stupid ole addiction. I just keep remembering why I stopped in the first place then I keep pressing on. It's hard yes, but it was hard to be a slave to some tobacco wrapped in paper. I have to keep remembering. I have to keep pressing on. And when I wake up tomorrow I have to do it all over again. 

26 Replies
sweetplt

Congratulations on your quit and your successful surgery...keep saying NOPE to Nico...even if everything worked out...none of us know what is lurking due to smoking...quitting is definitely the best side to be on...keep close to here for support...Happy Sunday ~ Colleen 328 DOF 

cfbays

Thanks!

Roj

Thankful your surgery went well and please continue to be smoke free, ...they will kill you, rob you of your breath, your life...maybe not tomorrow but in the future...congrats on choosing life and don’t let the devil voice convince you it’s okay now to start again...it’s NOT

cfbays

Thanks Roj—awesome feedback! Words of wisdom!

0 Kudos
Ronwv

I am still a few days from my quit day and while I been delaying my next dip.

I think about why I do not want to dip anymore and then distract myself for A few mins. For exAmple. I reAd aloud every word on the box of teA.

I have been searching on this site and hAve found a answer to a question I had.

I might not totally agree with someone idea but I also can see why it worked for them.

I do have my quit kit ready to go and till quit day. I been working on my thought process of how I Am going to handle the full blown quit cravings,thoughts and emotions. I know is going to happen.

But,I now know what is going to happen and pumping myself up mentally to Accept this life changing chAllenge.

Is it going to be easy.No. but,this site has been very supporting and educational.

Beck37

You are going to be tested during your quit. It is so easy to just give in. What the heck, who is it hurting other than yourself? That is when your stubbornness and shear determination has to kick in. Stay out of your head. You will survive all the crazies you are going to experience. You will feel so empowered after every new challenge you are faced with. You are going to experience many “insert cigarette here” moments for a long time. But guess what? You will be okay. If you truly want to quit, you will. Your new mantra should be “smoking is no longer an option, no matter what”.

There are so few things we have control of in our life. Whether we smoke or not is one of them. There is honestly nothing positive to smoking. Don’t let yourself down. Make yourself proud.

Be Amazing!

Beck

Christine13

Congratulations on 8 days quit!!  It is the best thing to do.  Glad surgery went well for you.

cfbays

Thank you!

0 Kudos
minihorses

I'm praying that you heal well and the surgery was a complete success.  It is hard to quit smoking when you're diagnosed with a medical condition.  We get stressed which causes us to smoke because stress=smoking=stress, do and repeat.  Good for you that you recognized that and took action!  I know the past 8 days have been hard without the nicodemon but you are doing a fantastic job staying 'clean'.  Proud of you!

cfbays

Thanks!

0 Kudos