cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mysticcat

Relapses after long quits?

So I have a question. Why do you suppose long time quitters relapse? What makes them take that 1st puff? I’ve heard of people with 10-15-20 years quit relapsing.  I mean right now I would never consider smoking. The thought of is completely gone. But Can addiction be triggered so easily? Why can it be triggered so easily? 

38 Replies
Jesselott

I think it's all the good feelings and nostalgia that we may associate with all the good times we've smoked through. 

Smoking is an intimate activity.  After 7 days, I feel almost like I am missing an old friend.  I find myself jealous of my wife who's still in the "cool club".  Until I realize it's not a friend nor is it "cool", it's something that wants to kill me slowly and will kill me if I let it.

YoungAtHeart

You hit the nostalgia thing right on the head!  I even wrote a blog about it awhile back: Romancing the Cigarette. 

Thought you might like to read it.

Congratulations on making it through H#ll Week! 

Hi Fam

I quit smoking for 20years, I let my Baby Girl being sick be the reason I started back. When she transitioned, I went over the falls and justify full tilt.  As an addict in recovery, I know cunning, baffling and powerful this is.  I have to hold on to Not One Puff Ever (NOPE) to survive.

I am holding your hand as mine is being held.

Jesselott

Even after 20 years, the struggle is so real.  Wow.  All it takes is for one trigger -- one justification -- and the liar can convince us that smoking is the right path to take.  

I hope I never have the answer to this question. Smoke free for 15 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 10 hours, 43 minutes and 28 seconds...29..30..31..32..

Mn@ 001.jpg

Cameree

I went 3 years without smoking and worked around people who smoked and even I would have to ride with them on the way home because it was only ride. As I saw my friend pick up and light a cigarette I often wondered when would she stop. One day I looked at her and dated boy that look so calming why can’t I have one, but that little voice I n my head said no don’t let it fool you it’s bad for you. So I didn’t relapse. But one day my fiancé started in on me because he was on drugs and I couldn’t take it anymore and he poured Clorox on my kitchen floor knowing I had COPD and asthma and couldn’t stand to be around strong chemicals. So I had to go outs and low and behold my son was smoking and I was upset and asked for a puff. Well the next day I did the same thing and I started all over again and it took me 8 years to be able to quit. Now I watch my daughter everyday smoking and it look so relaxing but I say to myself girl you’re up for a lung transplant and you can’t have it. And that gives me will power not to pick up one. But it’s only because of my health that keeps me from smoking. I have to be strong to live to see my 16 grandchildren grow up. They are my world. And I thank Hod everyday for his strength. Everyone cravings come from different things but that’s what trigger mine but the devil is a lie. 

Barbscloud

You're doing great!

Barb

0 Kudos
Pookweencess

This question scares me because I am still fighting so very hard to keep my six month quit 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Don't be scared - be prepared!  Have a list of things to do if the going gets tough. Learn ways to handle stress.   Promise yourself you will come here and post "Help" anytime you are tempted to smoke, or call a friend, or take a walk, or march in place, or take slow/deep breaths.  Limit your alcohol.

As you get further along in your quit, you will get a passing thought of smoking.  A thought is NOT a call to action.  Remind yourself that there is no such thing as "just one."  Get busy.  it will pass.

You will be fine!