cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mysticcat

Relapses after long quits?

So I have a question. Why do you suppose long time quitters relapse? What makes them take that 1st puff? I’ve heard of people with 10-15-20 years quit relapsing.  I mean right now I would never consider smoking. The thought of is completely gone. But Can addiction be triggered so easily? Why can it be triggered so easily? 

38 Replies
abbynormal42

I can only speak for myself. I threw away an 11-year quit with "just one." For me it was a combination of factors that led to taking that first puff--arguing with a loved one, consuming alcohol, and being around friends who smoked. One of my friends in the group was one who was a closet smoker/social smoker who would only smoke a couple in social situations or when she was really stressed. I had the stupid thought--"If she can do it, I can do it!" So after she bummed one from another friend in the group, I asked for one, too.

Let me add that I have never handled emotional conflict well. It is probably my biggest trigger. It sets off horrible panic attacks, and panic attacks make me irrational. It's no excuse, just an explanation.

I learned several things that day:

1. I can never have "just one." Within two or three weeks I was back up to a pack a day.

2. I should never consume alcohol when I'm socializing with smokers. It lowers my inhibitions and I make stupid decisions. (That's a rule I stick to to this day.)

3. Smoking does not alleviate stress. It only compounds it. I was so much more stressed out by the fact that I started smoking again than I was about the argument with my  loved one.

4. I am always an addict. Even as years pass and I get more and more solid in my quit, I am still an addict. Just as I would never offer an alcoholic in recovery a drink, I must never offer myself a cigarette. Ever.

5. I need to learn other coping skills to use during panic attacks. That is still something I'm working on to this day.

6. I need a support system. Even years after I quit. I had quit with the help of a site similar to this one, but after the first year I just drifted away from that site and the people there. I thought I could handle things on my own. If I had kept in touch with even one person from that site, I might have reached out for help instead of lighting up.

All of this is not to say that I craved cigarettes constantly during those 11 years I was quit. For most of that time, I never thought about cigarettes at all. I was, for all intents and purposes, free. All of the factors simply added up to the perfect storm that night. And since I had no support system in place, I turned to what was familiar from my past.

So that's the long story of how I relapsed after many years. I hate that it happened, but if my experience can help even one person keep from making the same mistake, I will keep sharing it!

Mysticcat

Thank for sharing your experience @Abbynormal. I understand/relate to the anxiety aspect. Smoking was the go to for anxiety relief for me too. But someone said I was really just relieving a withdrawal symptom from the last puff. I think smoking did help limit the ability for me to learn coping techniques along with environmental factors.  Maybe why sometimes anxiety was so high. I wonder too if it permanently changed the brains chemistry that affect emotions. I am less anxious tho since I quit. That maybe another topic. 

Anyway I will always try to have some form support to stay quit. I wish there were more 3D services, especially in my area. Seems like on-line offers more but is still limited. When I quit there was once a month meetings at the hospital, only newbies were there. 
I’m glad you found your way back. Your experience is very valuable. Thank you again for sharing. 

maryfreecig

There is nothing to go back to. So if I were to smoke again, it would be willful misconduct. Addiction would not draw me back as I am recovered, not cured, but recovered. So maybe I'd be giving middle finger to life? A middle finger to my higher power? Things not working out my way, so I go into I'll show you mode? If I were to go back to smoking, I'd be fully conscious of my defiance--saying that I'd have just one, would be a head fake only. Deep down inside, I'd know.

The physical addiction gone 3 days they say.

The psychological roots of the addiction run deep...

As we can never totally dig them out, the ONLY Rx available to us is NOPE.

They say 1 puff and BINGO..... 

You're rewired right back to smoking.

The uge can come out of the clear blue even years down the road of Quit...

I take a couple of deep breaths and move along on my way.

It's the reality of the nature of our addiction.

but I can live with that by staying NOPE.

(One can never go back smoking against their will.)

Today I choose not to!!!

green1611

It is chemistry. Grey chemical turns brain back to square one.

NOPE is the only answer to avoid relapses.

Scooterbutt

I started smoking again after two years quit! I was very active on quit net and I quit and thought I was doing great eventually I quit logging on and quit pledging. I was out with friends and thought just one would be fine after about a month I was back up to a pack a day. After one I was having cravings and thought I would have just one more and be able to stay quit. I was not able and went back to smoking for three years. I am now here working on my forever quit! I know I cannot have one puff ever again I am an addict and I cannot stop once I have that one puff. So for me it is NOPE and to stay vigilant with that from here on out. 

Barb102

I can only speak for myself but I now know I will never have just one puff ever again. I ruined long quits with just one. It never changed ANYTHING and made things worse because now I was smoking again. I’m so grateful to finally have stopped for good. My health has suffered for it.  I now have pulmonary fibrosis along with Emphysema. I use oxygen at night and other time. But it would be worse if I hadn’t quit. Much worse!  In the last 2 months haven’t been online much. We lost my mother in law, my husband was in a bad car accident and I tore my meniscus in 2 places. I thought about just one but then I thought again. I would then need a physiatrist to find out why I’m crazy to ever start again. Don’t let anyone’s relapse scare you. You never have to relapse. Each of us travels a different road and we learn from our journey. Remember we did it and so can you. Today I am 2 years free of that horrible addition. I stand by NOPE. Sending positive thoughts your way 

Strudel

I think what has protected me has been really taking “NOPE” - Not One Puff Ever - to heart! I truly believe it. I also truly believe that smoking never gave me anything! If you continue to think that smoking will help you when you get stressed - then you may turn to it when life gets tough. I no longer think that way - which makes all the difference! Congrats on your quit! 

Jesselott

Ah -- so that's what NOPE means.  Got it.

Mandolinrain

I think maybe it the idea we forget how bad it was to quit? I dunno. I don't want to ever know. I just want to never go through the quitting part again, because it was hell. 

For that reason first and because I have come to adore many on this site , I stay active here. It keeps me vigilant. I find by reading the blogs  and supporting others I am constantly reminded of why I quit and why I NEVER want to smoke again. N.O.P.........E.E.E.E.E.E!!!