cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JACKIE1-25-15

Reflection

Today while driving my mind went back to when I first quit smoking. I did not foresee this day of reflection but it was about the things that I don’t have to do anymore in order not to smoke.   I was comparing the then and the now.    With the help of the EXcommunity I have come a long way .  Although I still keep my water close by, gone are  the toothpicks, straws, gum, mints and other such that I kept as staples in my car.   As time passes our minds tend to lessen the hard details or the intensity of quitting smoking.  It is like a pain that has finally left. You remember the pain but you no longer feel it.  I got through the pain because of determination so I will never ever forget what it took to get here.  NEF (never ever forget) because it wasn’t all easy.  It did not kill me and life is grander because of it.  

I knew one day I would quit but I did not know how until I truly learned about nicotine addiction.  Until, I took the time to study, research and read the suggested material to learn about nicotine addiction in depth, I would have been fighting a losing battle.   Failing was not on my agenda and smoking was no longer an option.  SINAO  This did not happen over night.  It took time and work of never giving in to the addiction.   Thanks to the support here I was able to get through it.  Imagine never ever putting another cigarette in your hands or to your lips AND making a vow and committing to it.  My mind was made up that whatever it took, “by any means necessary” I was not going to smoke.  Not easy but, oh so doable.  

Now, an after meal smoke never crosses my mind.  A cigarette is no longer my morning wakeup call or bedtime nightcap.  I drink my coffee without being concerned about a trigger.   I am mindful when to and when not to drink alcohol.  Some things take time, others are easier but you have to get through the hard tough painful times to continue in the journey of freedom, which is the great reward. 

In life we take lightly what we need to do to make changes in our lives.  We hear words of wisdom and often times do not use them, especially when it comes to quitting smoking.   What we emphasize here may seem like rhetoric and you may take it for granted but think of one of my reflections:

If you envision yourself as a non smoker and believe that you can perform the work required to achieve freedom from nicotine you will have success.

What is required? NOPE (not one puff ever.... no matter what!   I know for a fact that it works.  It has keep me free 892 Days.   Tell yourself that no matter what…. I will not smoke and commit to your quit.

As always, Stay close, Be mindful, Don’t give in, Don’t give up, Protect your quit.

Peace

7 Replies
Mandolinrain

Beautiful post Jackie. I hear you. I was that person. I finally was able to reach freedom by doing all the footwork. Research, reading.....truly getting an understanding of my addiction. I also deeply believe in your statement to envision yourself as a non-smoker. I feel that statement  'envision yourself' may apply to so many areas where we need freedom...weight, self esteem.......

Anyway, you have much wisdom my friend.:)

0 Kudos
Giulia

This is the significant point that I took away from your blog:  "Failing was not on my agenda and smoking was no longer an option."  That was my truth also.  I allowed no excuses (adhering to the NOPE tenet), so failing was not on the plate to begin with.  And getting rid of the option to smoke in my head made the journey a whole lot easier.  If there are no cigarette on your island, you simply can't smoke and so stop thinking about the ship coming in with cartons of them much sooner than if you know there's a freeport is on your island or there are tourists there that you can bum from.  Great blog Jackie!

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Thanks Jackie for another awe inspiring blog post , I hope everyone stops up and reads this very insightful blog from a very wise lady, friend and fellow Exer.

0 Kudos
elvan

Beautiful post, Jackie.  It really is nice to look back and realize that we are choosing not to GO back.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Roller831

This>>>Failing was not on my agenda and smoking was no longer an option.

This>>>As always, Stay close, Be mindful, Don’t give in, Don’t give up, Protect your quit.

And one more thing.....Listen to the Elders!

JACKIE1-25-15

You got it. 

0 Kudos
Showiestodin

What a great post ! Thank you for sharing your reflections with us. I am new and learning my way around. I can't tell you what a relief it is going to be to not think of them anymore. A distant memory - sounds good to me. Thanks again for the encouraging words.

0 Kudos