cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sandy-9-17-17

Recent Struggle to Breathe????

Lately, my breathing has become more labored when exerting myself, and it feels worse than ever with the most recent normal things I have been doing, such as;  walking from parking lot to the beach, climbing stairs, and bike riding.  My son and I took a speedy bike ride last night, nothing I have never done before, 18 miles round trip.  In the first 5 miles, I had to stop to use my albuterol inhaler that the doc gave me, as he says I have asthmatic symptoms more than he thought I have COPD. 

When I smoked, I never had the trouble of being winded like I do now, and never had to stop and rest. Seems as though it is worsening?  

Why would my breathing with exercise start becoming worse now that I have quit smoking for 9 months??? 

It's kind of scary!  My oxygen levels have always been good, so this is concerning!  Could something else be going on?

0 Kudos
39 Replies
Mandolinrain

This exact thing happened to me after I was quit a couple years. I am a very active person normally and this was so upsetting. I was actually running out of air SOMETIMES before finishing a sentence when I talked...so I ended up going to my Dr. who sent me to a Pulmonary Doc. 

I had all the tests to check for COPD....ends up I have Asthma and MILD case of COPD. My o2 levels are also good.

I was given a daily inhaler 'Arnuity and a rescue inhaler and am checked once a year. So far nothing has gotten any better or any worse for that matter.

Hope this helps. I am still very active but the inhaler does help. High humidity is not my friend though.

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

Missy, you just described me to the "T"  as one would say!   I also run out of air as I am speaking!  That is so frustrating!  I also keep my inhaler with me at all times, I have one that sits right at my desk at work, however I never have to use it there as we have the AC on in the office!  Nothing gets worse, but not really better either!  I only keep wishing I had never started this addiction, and thank myself for being done with it!   

Mandolinrain

I don't know how true this next statement is...but I had heard that every person who ever smoked for a long period of time, such as myself....30 some years....will be diagnosed at some point in their future with COPD or asthma. Like I said, don't know the facts on that but it makes sense to me. We need to be grateful we do not have lung cancer ( I lost a dear friend to that about 10 years ago that was diagnosed with it a year after she quit) or have had to endure lung surgery as I know some in here have. Things could always be worse but I feel your frustration.. I am SO happy we have quit now. )

Sandy-9-17-17

For sure, I am so happy we have quit now!  All I can do is take whatever the good Lord gives, and go from there!  It is all mapped out, we just have to wait and see what will be!  But being free from this addiction, finally?  Life is good!!  Oh, so good!

Sandy-9-17-17

elvan‌ Man, I totally got confused in this message thread!  Ellen, I see it was you trying to give yours away, not IrishRose‌, 

It's Friday, and I am already overheating in the AC!  haha!   BrainMelt!  I have good reasons!   Will blog shortly!

0 Kudos
IrishRose

Sandy-9-17-17‌ , I am trying to give mine away too.  hahahahahaha  Sounds like we have three peas from the same pod.  hahahahaha 

Sandy-9-17-17

What was the good Lord thinking !  LOL!  elvan‌ and IrishRose‌  In fact what would the world be like without us women?  Oh Oh!  

Don't let any of the guys see this one!  I'm pretty sure the world would be a jungle!

Barbscloud

This raised my curiosity.  From what I'm seeing, 20% (one study said 20 - 30 %). of people who smoke will develop COPD.  10% will develop lung cancer.  Smoking doesn't cause asthma, but can trigger asthma symptoms.  Anyone have different information?

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

NOPE, this is what I have been seeing too!  Sounds about right, and I now suffer from asthma symptoms!  I keep inhaler with me at all times as the feeling of not being able to get a good breath in was very scary!  

0 Kudos

I have seen COPD statistics as high as 40% because researchers say that for every person diagnosed with COPD there's another who has COPD but has not been tested or diagnosed. Really Scary! If you have not had a spirometry test - please get one everybody!