cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Sandy-9-17-17

Recent Struggle to Breathe????

Lately, my breathing has become more labored when exerting myself, and it feels worse than ever with the most recent normal things I have been doing, such as;  walking from parking lot to the beach, climbing stairs, and bike riding.  My son and I took a speedy bike ride last night, nothing I have never done before, 18 miles round trip.  In the first 5 miles, I had to stop to use my albuterol inhaler that the doc gave me, as he says I have asthmatic symptoms more than he thought I have COPD. 

When I smoked, I never had the trouble of being winded like I do now, and never had to stop and rest. Seems as though it is worsening?  

Why would my breathing with exercise start becoming worse now that I have quit smoking for 9 months??? 

It's kind of scary!  My oxygen levels have always been good, so this is concerning!  Could something else be going on?

0 Kudos
39 Replies
IrishRose

Are you sure we are not married to the same man???????

Irish Rose 

elvan

IrishRosee   You WANT him?  Just kidding...sort of.  Sandy-9-17-17‌ I USED to love yard work but between my breathing and my arthritis issues, I just cannot do that any more.  

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

I'm finding I can still do it, just not through the high/low humidity this year!  How does one change so much from quitting that I could do all of this stuff easily last year when I was still smoking, but now, not so much!  Not fair!  And NO, I will never go back to smoking to see if I can do it once again!  LOL!  My life as a smoker is over!  Done!  Finished!  Forever!

IrishRose‌ I have one just like yours already, You want mine???  Ha Ha! 

Have a super awesome sunny day! 

0 Kudos
IrishRose

elvan‌ and Sandy-9-17-17‌ , oh no, God made three of them before he tossed that cast molding away.  You guys can have mine, and I am not kidding.  hahahahahahaha

Irish Rose 

0 Kudos

Sandy, Sickerettes have cough suppressants and other chemicals that hide the symptoms of asthma and COPD - on purpose! The idea of Big Tobacco is that if you were to try to quit smoking the coughing and breathing issues will drive you back to smoking - more $$$. In time it will get somewhat better with time but as you know there is no cure for asthma or for COPD and the combination ACOS a.k.a. Asthma COPD overlap syndrome is more complicated than either by itself. II suggest that you find out more from your doctor or even better, get a pulmonologist! Both asthma and COPD are dangerous - together we have to be extra careful.

Sandy-9-17-17

I saw a pulmonologist not long ago Thomas, he said I did well on my breathing test, and that he thought my symptoms of difficulty breathing seemed to be more asthmatic/allergies than he though COPD!  But past xrays by my doctor's office said COPD.  Now I don't know if you can tell someone has COPD by a simple chest xray, so I don't really know what to think.  Lately, most recently anyways, I have had a raspy voice, and also seem to be coughing a bit more and no cold symptoms at all.  I guess I am just waiting (unless I find I'm getting worse before then) until I have my CT scan on Sept 1.  Then I see  pulmonologist on the  7th !  

I am just going to remain optimistic for now, unless like I say, I feel like it's getting worse. 

We have major humidity coming our way all this next week, Yay!  NOT!  but I will take good care of myself, and go to the gym where it's dryer air and get my workouts in.  I'm not a maniac about it, but I do like getting exercise! 

I have invested in a dehumidifier for my home - $5 at a garage sale! The filters are a bit more expensive than that. Actually I frequently see dehumidifiers at garage sales. Exercise s good as long as you don't have exercise-related asthma which from your history I'm hearing that you don't. I do hope you use your rescue inhaler before you exercise. 

Breathe Easy - LLAP

Sandy-9-17-17

Yes Thomas, I do, I take it where ever I go now!  I am so glad I had it with me when I took that first 22 mile bike ride with my son, and glad that I didn't go it alone as I had planned, but then he asked if he could go!

We found out that the trip is actually 22 miles not 16 round trip!  It's sad because I love bicycling where ever I go, but not going to happen this  year so it seems!   I think I will start looking for a dehumidifier!  

0 Kudos
Gilamonster

Hi Sandy- at 135 days of freedom, I also have an  increase shortness of breath. I can do more activities such as walking up stairs and hills easier but this shortness of breath worries me. I have been pestering my doctor about it and she doesn’t seem too concerned saying that my lungs sound fine. 

My O2 sats are hanging at 95%-Lowest they have ever been. Scary indeed.

I also joined the YMCA and do pool aerobics two times weekly trying to work up to three times weekly. They do make me feel great, but I wonder about  inhaling all that chlorine vapors if that could be the culprit for increased shortness of breath. I sure hope not because I do enjoy the pool. 

I woke up this morning being excited about  being a non-smoker, whoo-hoo!!

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

Gilamonster‌  First of all, congrats on your 135 days of being a chain NON smoker!  I'm proud of you, and it looks like you smoked a lot more than I did!  Double congrats, and keep hanging on to your quit!  I do find it strange that I felt I could do things more easily as a smoker, but I am sure glad that I don't smoke!  My O2 levels are pretty good actually, and I have never had asthma a day in my life, but they say I have all the asthmatic symptoms more than they think COPD according to my tests with the pulmonologist!  

Perhaps the chlorine vapors are a culprit, I would certainly check into that, or google it!  That shortness of breath does worry me too!  I can barely walk up a flight of stairs at the beach in the humidity!  I actually have to stop and rest!  I don't like it, I am a very very active person!  I go to the gym, and can do the elliptical for a half our and not have trouble breathing!  But it's not all humid in there either!   I am at 285 day quit today, Never thought I'd ever be say these words, but I am SO VERY HAPPY I QUIT!

I look forward to seeing you around!  

Sandy 285 DOF

0 Kudos