cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mark.de.wet

Quitting

Hi All, just want to say hi and that I have decided to quit smoking as I am 56, have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and that it's simply getting too expensive to smoke. I'm quitting gradually as I don't have the will-power to go cold turkey. I would love to get feedback from anyone else that quit by giving up gradually and succeeded. Thanks

31 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Just noticed this - sorry!

I was on medication for high blood pressure when I quit - it took two years - but my BP came down to the point I am no longer on it.

Hope you find the same!!

Nancy

0 Kudos
dwaith4echo

You seem like a good candidate for Smokenders, which is how I stopped.  The program trains you to get out of habit smoking by gradually decreasing available windows during which you can smoke.  For example, after meals you'll wait 15-minutes the first week, increase to 30-minutes the next week, 45-minutes, and finally an hour.  Same with mornings and before bed.  I was smoking 22-cigarettes when I started the program and was down to 8-cigarettes my last week.  Car-smoking stops in the first two weeks.  I found the morning of my quit day I didn't crave or want a cigarette.  I've had my moments since stopping, but they really haven't been awful.  I think your method can work for you, but obviously it isn't right for all.  Best of luck.

Sean - 100 DOF today

YoungAtHeart

Changing up your routines, no matter how you go about it, is key to the trigger/association part of the addiction.

Congrats on 100 days - and welcome to the TDC (Triple Digit Club)!!

Nancy

0 Kudos
mark.de.wet

Thank you nancy!!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Mark,

Did you sign up for text messages from the Ex?   Based on your quit date, they send you messages every day helping you prepare for your quit.  I don't see anyone mention this too often, but I found them very helpful. 

Barb

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Barbscloud wrote:

Mark,

Did you sign up for text messages from the Ex?   Based on your quit date, they send you messages every day helping you prepare for your quit.  I don't see anyone mention this too often, but I found them very helpful. 

Barb

Great suggestion however the text message option is only for people who are in the US. Unfortunately they don't send to South Africa.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

This sounds like a better idea than what I tried - which was trying to limit myself to a diminishing number each day.  It lays out in more detail what is mentioned here on the site  - to put each cigarette off a bit leading up to your quit.

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Thanks for saying more about how you are going about your quit. Keep working it, and you are sure to get to where you want to be. Breaking the habits of smoking is one way to kick the butts out the door. I'm a big fan of building a solid foundation--it just helps to build a strong sense of  I'm done, no matter what.  

0 Kudos
Bree19

mark.de.wet 

Hey Mark.   Province!!!!

Welcome to EX.  Please stay a while and get to know the phenomenal people on the site who all give of their personal time to encourage  us.    Each successful quitter reached their goal in their own way, in their own time, using the tools that worked for them.  The one thing the successful EX smokers have in common is that they took the time to educate themselves and prepare for their quits.  We realise at some point that we don’t know everything (if anything) about nicotine addiction.  And we never stop learning.

So....when we welcome and support new members, we enjoy sharing our own journeys and hope to inspire new or future quitters who have joined the site. All we want is for each member to be successful, no matter how they get there.   Learn, prepare and read what the long time quitters share with you (the Elders) in their old posts - some from years ago!.   

Take the best, leave the rest.

And please give my Mountain a wave.  Pretoria is just too far away.  

Blessings and strength

Bree

0 Kudos
mark.de.wet

Hi Bree, thanks for the reply and will definitely say hello to The Table for you!!! Appreciate the sentiments and believe me when I say I am most determined to quit!!!