cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

altusadmin

Quitting my Juul proving harder than quitting cigarettes

Hi all,

I'm here because I'm trying to give up my Juul habit. I am a former smoker, had been blessedly quit for years, but used a Juul on a lark and it is proving more difficult than my final smoking quit 7 years ago. I realize that many on these threads may use Juul as nicotine-replacement, which I support (it's certainly better than smoking). But my goal is simply to get off nicotine again, for health reasons (no idea what my near-constant Juul inhalation will do someday) and cost (money could be so much better spent). 

Just wondering if anyone here is trying to give up Juul / vaping habit and finding it as wildly difficult as I am. 

Thanks all. 

Tags (1)
86 Replies
YoungAtHeart

This is no habit!  It is a two part addiction - physical AND psychological, and not easy from which to break free.  Education, preparation and planning are required.

Happy to hear you are using the gum sparingly - very wise!  We have had folks here who have become addicted to it if they get past every crave with its use!

Read as much as you can to better understand this addiction.  I highly recommend "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr.  Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device.

Stay close!  Ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it!

I am glad you are here!

Nancy

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

altusadmin‌ Thanks for stopping by and sharing your story.  Helping people quit vaping has really been our push recently and it's great to see that those who are wanting to quit now have some resources.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
altusadmin

Thanks much, Mark. I appreciate that.

0 Kudos
indingrl

Welcome abd good CHOICE to stay quit just for YOU! Yahoooooo and WAY TO GO!  

altusadmin

Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
elvan

Congratulations on your decision to quit using JUUL, I think it is a very wise choice.  I believe that the number of people quitting vaping on this site is growing.  I never used JUUL but I am sure that some here did and I think the process of quitting is the same process as quitting smoking.  I believe, perhaps inaccurately, that part of the issue has to do with the fact that you can use your JUUL just about any place whereas you cannot smoke in most places.  You have to learn about the addiction to nicotine all over again, clearly, you learned it before to have seven years smoke free.  It's the same journey, one day at a time.  We will all be here to support you and LEARN from you.

Ellen

0 Kudos
altusadmin

Thanks very much, Ellen. I did crash today, nearing my one week mark, and bought another Juul setup. But I know that it's an iterative process. I will keep trying and rely on support from this group.

0 Kudos
elvan

We are here...next time you think you might crash (I pretty much expect there WILL be a next time), instead of going out and buying a whole new set up and having to start over...come HERE and post HELP in the subject line of your blog.  We will do our best to help you through whatever is going on and to help you to accept that using is NOT going to fix anything.  It is just addiction and it is seriously powerful but we are MORE powerful.  We want you here, we want to help you and I think your journey and your struggles are opening up a whole new aspect to recovery.

Glad you are here.

Ellen

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

elvan wrote:

We are here...next time you think you might crash (I pretty much expect there WILL be a next time), instead of going out and buying a whole new set up and having to start over...come HERE and post HELP in the subject line of your blog.  We will do our best to help you through whatever is going on and to help you to accept that using is NOT going to fix anything.  It is just addiction and it is seriously powerful but we are MORE powerful.  We want you here, we want to help you and I think your journey and your struggles are opening up a whole new aspect to recovery.

Glad you are here.

Ellen

altusadmin

elvan‌ posted a good idea. I've actually set up some easy one click buttons in Emergency Help (The Panic Button) and https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters  in the right column. It will create a post for you with a tag and a partial subject as well.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
altusadmin

I'll absolutely do that. Feeling alone made it easy to go out and just buy

all the Juul supplies and start up again, but I think the community will

add one more "roadblock" to doing so next time. I'm on it - thank you all.

0 Kudos