Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ammar

Quitting in 2 weeks? Yes!

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am a heavy smoker and I have already tried several times to quit smoking yet in vain. The longest non smoking period was 3 months. I should mention also that I am bipolar and on medication. Maybe that's the reason why every time I quit smoking I start to sleep really a lot! 

Anyway today I decided to quit for good on May 31st. That's in 2 weeks.

My question is how to spend the 2 weeks smoking? Smoke normally? Reduce gradually?

My psychologist advised me today to reduce cigarettes very very carefully, 1 cigarette every 2 weeks.

Currently I smoke 16 cigarettes each day. That would mean to quit  not earlier than in 32 weeks!

Honestly I don't want to wait that long. I was really confused today but I decided to reduce 1 cigarette daily till I reach 5 cigarettes and then quit. In this time I want to completely brake my triggers and habits like not smoking before 20 min after waking up, no coffee with cigarettes and so on in order to "teach" my body and soul and to prepare them for the day I quit completely.

What do you think? I am so glad If I can receive additional tips how to spend these 2 weeks.

Looking forward to your replies!

Ammar

32 Replies
Trying1231

I gradually am cutting back, I do it by hours, if I smoke at 9, I'll wait adding on an hour each time so the wait is longer, so my next cig would be at 10, next one would be at 1, only up to 4 hours so far, my quit day is saturday

0 Kudos
Ammar

Then we are using quite a similar technique.

Lots of luck for Saturday and especially the whole year after Saturday!

pongaselo

Hi; Smoking less is useful in terms of reducing your blood nicotine level. While I am not a doctor, I have learned that nicotine, a vasoconstrictor, taken after a meal, helps direct blood flow to core body areas like the stomach. Useful in the digestive process.  To reduce my dependence, I waited 15 minutes after any meal, food or beverage except water. I did that for about a week then changed it to 30 minutes.  This really helped me when it came time to quit as my body had learned to get by with much less nicotine. I didn't address it in terms of how many cigarettes but rather how much I let the nicotine affect my metabolism.  Maybe it didn't really help. I am not a doctor so I don't have a way to measuring it. I do know this.  It felt like I was taking control of my life. Feeling like I could do that gave me the confidence to actually quit.  

Ammar

Hey, what you wrote and experienced is extremely interesting!

I am experimenting in the same direction actually but maybe I am rushing too much, I didn't sleep at all this night although this happens to me also often usually.

Thank you for sharing!

elvan

Welcome AmmarDDfree‌ and Trying1231‌  I have been quit for over 3 years now, thanks to this site.  I tried many times to quit on my own and aside from pregnancies, I never stayed quit for very long.  I smoked for 47 years except for pregnancies...I got sick, REALLY sick, and that was it.  I have not smoked since January of 2014.  I told myself that if I could HONESTLY come up with a reason to smoke, that I would smoke...HONESTLY is the key word here, would smoking take away physical pain? Depression? Stress? Anger?  If I answered those questions HONESTLY, I knew that nothing ever changed because I smoked.  I would smoke FURIOUSLY if I was angry...furiously is the key word there.  If I was in pain (I suffer from chronic pain), smoking might distract me for a couple of minutes but it never took the pain away.  Smoking does nothing FOR you, it does a lot TO you.  It has ravaged my lungs and made my life much more difficult than it would be if I never smoked.  I also felt HORRIBLE when people would walk by me and glare at me for smoking...I never smoked inside of my house but it is less and less acceptable to smoke ANYWHERE.  Smoking made me look and feel like I was not very smart...I did not want to continue to allow an addiction to rule my life, to tell me what to do and when to do it. I have been on Wellbutrin for years, all of my doctors have told me that when you have chronic pain, it changes the chemical makeup of your brain and antidepressants help pain medications to be more effective.  I was on several different ones before I was put on this one, this was the only one that did not make me feel overly sleepy or make my heart pound.  Everyone is different and everyone reacts differently to medications.  I had already been on Wellbutrin for a long time when I quit smoking so I cannot tell you if it helped.  I CAN tell you that being completely honest with myself worked.  There were some really challenging times in the beginning, I came here every morning and every night and I read blogs, I commented, I wrote blogs. I took the advice of the elders...I drank a LOT of water to flush the nicotine from my system and I distracted myself when I had craves...then I acknowledged them but I did not give them power by fighting them.  I let them come and go and I KNEW they would go.  No crave lasts long and no crave ever killed anyone.  Can't say the same thing about cigarettes.  I had previously tracked my cigarettes and the triggers and I had figured out what I would do INSTEAD of smoking.  Jumping jacks, take a shower, brush my teeth, wash my hands, smell a perfume I really liked, play a computer game...anything EXCEPT smoking, that was off the table.  Make your commitment and stick with it, come here and ask for help when you need it and remember that there will be good days and bad days and they happen when you smoke too...stick with your quit, value yourself, you will learn so much that you will be astounded.  You stuffed your feelings into those cigarettes and now you are going to learn how to deal with your feelings WITHOUT a cloud of smoke.  It is a journey, a journey to get to know who you are, who you always were supposed to be.

Again, welcome to EX.

Ellen

PCAT

Hi,

My quit day is this coming 6/1, but I'm trying to become aware of patterns now and looking for substitute "fixes" as well... FOUND A GREAT ONE! Use a cinnamon stick! They're the right size and weight, there's enough resistance to "draw" through them and they cause you to take nice deep breaths which ease a craving. I am so thrilled with this "find"... I'm already smoking less without trying all that hard or feeling terribly deprived. Might be helpful for you as well. 

(I'm still anxious about 6/1 and don't think the cinnamon sticks will totally "carry me through" the real quit. But I'm sure they'll help make it a little easier.)

By the way, you don't taste the cinnamon or even smell it. But today I discovered I could bite off tiny pieces and get a little sweet taste in my mouth. 

Good luck!

0 Kudos

How yummy does that sound.  I might give it a try just for fun!  Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos

Oh!  And keep thinking positive about 6/1.  It'll be like traveling on vacation.  A bit of anxiety in anticipation, a bit of aggravation getting to your destination, a bit of time to get used to your new surroundings and then, comfort and joy with your new paradise.

I'm cheering for you!

0 Kudos
PCAT

Thank you! I really am looking forward to 6/1...even thinking I might surprise myself and stop before then. Not likely, but possible. For now, I'm educating myself  by reading about the addiction, what to expect in stopping and looking for other "fixes" besides food.

Exciting, frightening...

0 Kudos
elvan

Education is a huge key, so is preparation, tracking and planning what to do instead of smoking.  Support is amazing, we all support each other here and it is a wonderful thing.  

Welcome to EX PCAT‌ please stay close to the site.

Ellen

0 Kudos