Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ammar

Quitting in 2 weeks? Yes!

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am a heavy smoker and I have already tried several times to quit smoking yet in vain. The longest non smoking period was 3 months. I should mention also that I am bipolar and on medication. Maybe that's the reason why every time I quit smoking I start to sleep really a lot! 

Anyway today I decided to quit for good on May 31st. That's in 2 weeks.

My question is how to spend the 2 weeks smoking? Smoke normally? Reduce gradually?

My psychologist advised me today to reduce cigarettes very very carefully, 1 cigarette every 2 weeks.

Currently I smoke 16 cigarettes each day. That would mean to quit  not earlier than in 32 weeks!

Honestly I don't want to wait that long. I was really confused today but I decided to reduce 1 cigarette daily till I reach 5 cigarettes and then quit. In this time I want to completely brake my triggers and habits like not smoking before 20 min after waking up, no coffee with cigarettes and so on in order to "teach" my body and soul and to prepare them for the day I quit completely.

What do you think? I am so glad If I can receive additional tips how to spend these 2 weeks.

Looking forward to your replies!

Ammar

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DDfree

Good morning, Ammar!

I wish I was writing with some awesome advice, but I am actually just wanting to share with you that we are on a very similar journey. I battle anxiety and clinical depression and have not succeeded in any of my attempts to quit yet. I did however, start wellbutrin yesterday. I have had 2 cigarettes today so far. I usually smoke a pack a day! My quit date is also May 31. I know I should gradually reduce but I'm not sure exactly how. I will let you know if I come across any any good advice for the next two weeks! Good luck to you!

View solution in original post

32 Replies
DDfree

Good morning, Ammar!

I wish I was writing with some awesome advice, but I am actually just wanting to share with you that we are on a very similar journey. I battle anxiety and clinical depression and have not succeeded in any of my attempts to quit yet. I did however, start wellbutrin yesterday. I have had 2 cigarettes today so far. I usually smoke a pack a day! My quit date is also May 31. I know I should gradually reduce but I'm not sure exactly how. I will let you know if I come across any any good advice for the next two weeks! Good luck to you!

Ammar

What an amazing "coincidence"!

Your reply is so precious and helpful, and since we have the same quit date we can support each other before and after.

I feel I am flying in a plane right now!

Wanna join?

Hi Ammar, (and one other who has this question.)

I'm not a doctor nor do I consider myself clinically depressed, so take what I write for what it's worth and hopefully others with experiences more similar to yours will chime in too.  But I've been depressed.  Really depressed.  I always looked at it as legitimate depression, because I had a lot about which to be sad.  So I was.  And anxiety!  OMG!  Have I had anxiety!  Sometimes I still get fearful everything could come tumbling down around me.  Did smoking make things better for me?  Only as far as the short-lived dopamine-bursts went.  Did they make things worse.  Without question.  I became addicted to nicotine.  Nicotine became a life priority.  I was slowly destroying my health; draining myself of energy.  I was wasting my money and my time.  I wore away my self-respect.  Cripes!  If that's not depressing and worthy of anxiety, I don't know what is.  But the nicotine-induced dopamine bursts made me think I was coming out ahead.  I had stepped in the trap.  I was an addict.

I've found the more you know about beating addiction to nicotine, the easier it is to quit smoking. And that really is what it is all about. You don't really even want to smoke. Otherwise you wouldn't be here. But you are addicted to nicotine, (all of us here are, or were.)  Once you are on to his nicotine's ways and deceitful lies, you will find it within you to say, "NO MORE." Not One Puff Ever = N.O.P.E.

One of the best ways to get educated, in my opinion, is to read the Allen Carr book, The Easy Way To Quit Smoking.   You can find a link to the free online version here.  I also recommend doing the tasks outlined on this site in preparation for your quit, (even if you've already begun your quit,) because the first couple weeks, as you probably know already, are not what most people call fun, (sorry Mr. Carr.) But if you've planned ahead what you will do instead of smoking, since you won't be doing that anymore, you will get through.  Once you beat the addiction, you will still need to master the old associations we wove with dopamine highs.  It is a process.  It is a journey.  The only way to the other side, to the freedom of living smoke-free, is through. You can do this!

There are a handful of members here we all affectionately refer to as Elders; folks with sturdy, steady quits under their belts that hang around simply to help newbies like you along. Read their blogs, take their advice, trust them. They are wise, and they mean well.

Then, hang around here as much as you can.  Whine, cry, scream, (wait! hit the brakes! SCREEEEEECH!!!  What am I saying?) Laugh, giggle, smile and dance your way through this journey.  It really is, as much as anything else, how you look at it. You are not giving up anything. You are gaining everything, from a healthier body, to increased wealth,to greater self-esteem, to a whole new awakening on life! It truly is freedom and it's yours for the taking. Sometimes I wonder if it is not better to be an Ex-smoker than a Never-smoked. You enjoy the same freedoms as they, but having been a slave to the addiction for so many days, you appreciate the freedom so much more.

So welcome aboard. We are all here to walk this journey with you. Educate, prepare, commit, and then quit. It really is as simple as that.

Ammar

Hi from Beirut

Thank you so much for your long and detailed reply which I enjoyed reading. 

I just reply shortly, when you have time, read my comments from today.

Let's keep in touch!

Ammar

0 Kudos
gregp136

I have great respect for the psychiatric community, but they are not always strong on dealing with addiction. For me, it was important to smoke normally, for cutting down wore me down.  I wanted to be eager, excited for my quit. Quitting takes a lot of effort and I build that strength up to push through the first week.  Others have done it differently, but I do not think stretching it out for many weeks is helpful. 

Just my opinion. 

Greg

I agree, Greg.  While the slow reduction of nicotine makes sense, so much energy goes into abstaining 'til the next one and so much emphasis placed on the next one that it seemingly is reinforcing an addict's propensity to associate cigarettes with reward and to anticipate a reward after a period of abstinence.  Same old same old as I see it; better to make a bold, clean quit and commit to it to the end; once and for all!

Ammar

Thank you Greg for your reply!

I am coming to the same conclusion..

Yesterday there was almost only confusion lol

I already feel like another person.

Hope that's not the announcement of a new manic episode. Just kidding lol

Ammar

Dear mates,

One day past and the journey continues.

Yesterday night I had a thought I would love to share with all of you!

I think now it's not really important (for me) how many cigarettes I smoke, if I reduce or not and how I reduce.

I just decided to smoke always when I don't feel like it and ONLY then!

And suddenly it got so easy.

Thus I didn't smoke after dinner or before sleeping, this morning I waited 20 minutes before my first cigarette. No cigarettes with coffee and so on.

While I did so I noticed that I am like this automatically preparing myself to the quit day, because I am training not to smoke in all the situations I would usually smoke!

This already gave me the feeling to be on the right track and it gave me back a lot of energy today. I am drinking a lot of water, donno if this is linked.

And now that I feel like continuing writing I will instead go and smoke a cigarette- no cigarettes at the computer

Have a wonderful day or evening, where ever you are.

Bree19

DDfreeAmmar

Hello and welcome to both of you

I have no extra wisdom for you.  

There are people with a lot of sound advice and years of accumulated knowledge.  

I'm on my 80th day free from smoking.

All I wanted to add - I have Clinical Depression and Panic disorder.  I am carefully medicated and will one day be medication free.  

Sleeping a lot at the beginning of my quit was unexpected but very valuable and enjoyable.  Enjoy the smoke-free Zzzzz's

Bree