Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ammar

Quitting in 2 weeks? Yes!

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am a heavy smoker and I have already tried several times to quit smoking yet in vain. The longest non smoking period was 3 months. I should mention also that I am bipolar and on medication. Maybe that's the reason why every time I quit smoking I start to sleep really a lot! 

Anyway today I decided to quit for good on May 31st. That's in 2 weeks.

My question is how to spend the 2 weeks smoking? Smoke normally? Reduce gradually?

My psychologist advised me today to reduce cigarettes very very carefully, 1 cigarette every 2 weeks.

Currently I smoke 16 cigarettes each day. That would mean to quit  not earlier than in 32 weeks!

Honestly I don't want to wait that long. I was really confused today but I decided to reduce 1 cigarette daily till I reach 5 cigarettes and then quit. In this time I want to completely brake my triggers and habits like not smoking before 20 min after waking up, no coffee with cigarettes and so on in order to "teach" my body and soul and to prepare them for the day I quit completely.

What do you think? I am so glad If I can receive additional tips how to spend these 2 weeks.

Looking forward to your replies!

Ammar

32 Replies

For the lead up, you're right; it really doesn't make much difference.  After all, either way, you are still smoking.  When you reach your quit date, however, such rationalizations are but poor excuses to feed your addiction.  Smoking when you don't want to smoke is still smoking.  At best, it is nonsensical rationalization to smoke.  At worst, you might create new positive reinforcements associated with nicotine-induced dopamine highs during circumstances you previously would not have.

I will keep in touch.  You do too.

Willing you success! 

0 Kudos
Ammar

I will keep that in mind!

Thanks

0 Kudos
tjanddj

Welcome Ammar! Glad to have you here on this journey with us! Glad you made the choice to do the delay method rather than the elimination method. I did the delay method and that worked very well for me. Do read the Alan Carr book it helped me understand this nicotine addiction making my quit journey much easier. Continue to walk on this journey and be sure to reach out here any time you need a helping hand or just a place to vent. A lot of humor on the quit journey will help you along too!  

Ammar

Thank you very much for your support and encouraging words!

Seems like you have already quit. Congratulations!!!

0 Kudos
prjimm01

I smoked normally up to the last one.  then I went to bed, got up the next day and am smoke free 845 days later.  I used nicotine patches as per the instructions, had a plan and spent a lot of time here!  Allen Carr's book made all the difference.

Welcome and good luck!

Ammar

Thank you for your reply!

I have read Alan Carr's book and I have some other excellent books here.

I hadn't even noticing lately they were on my bookshelf.

I have put them all in the living room.

Didn't have time yet to read but on the weekend I will definitly do!

Good night 

0 Kudos
jbliesmer

Welcome to the group Ammar! We are excited you are here. We look forward to being along with you on this journey.

It sounds like you are really ready to attack those cravings and figure out what causes them, might I suggest a journal? Look back at it in a week or two and find patterns. What can you do break those patterns? What can you do instead of lighting that cigarette?

Again, welcome!

Jaime 

Ammar

Hello Jaime,

thank you for your whole-hearted words and I think this is a really good tip. I will organize myself better this week-end and hopefully this time, on May 31st  I will be done.

How about you?

Have you already found the destination of your journey or not yet?

0 Kudos
jbliesmer

I am on day 13 of my quit. Proud of every single hour.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congrats!  Be sure to update your quit date.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team