cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quitting e-cigarettes

This forum post was the catalyst for my own quitting of e-cigarettes. I have been building up to the decision for a while now, and just read Allen Carr's book (skimmed, actually) and am embarking on my own new chapter with a clear eye on the illusions that nicotine provides anything other than relief from nicotine withdrawal. I'm throwing out all my vaping pods, liquid, and batteries (in my neighbor's garbage so I am not tempted -- full honesty -- to dig them out of the trash when the cravings and withdrawal hit) right now. I'd like to thank 7WOODSTOCK for his/her honesty and commitment to recording their progress. I plan to record my own progress here. I hope anyone who secretly wants to quit vaping nicotine can trust that everything I say will be my true experience. I vaped for several years, and I am so ready to be done with this ridiculous activity and insidious addiction. Best wishes to everyone else on this site, and let's all try to remember: nicotine gives us nothing of value, no concentration, no relaxation, no happiness. It only loans back a portion of what it is constantly taking away.

Labels (1)
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I am glad you have looked at the book by Allen Carr.  The writing was not the best, but the information helped me to better understand and beat this addiction.  Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”  

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s notanexception 

Glad you made the decision to quit...be sure to come here for support.  We are all in this journey together.  

Be safe and be well...~ Colleen 498 DOF 

indingrl

elvan

Welcome to EX, remember that you are not on this journey alone.  Getting rid of everything was a smart start.

Ellen

Barbscloud

Welcome again.   I just responded to your other post.

Barb

So I'm now 2 days in and I want to say that it's really not what I was expecting. Allen Carr seems to have been pretty much on the money. I don't have headaches, irritability, nausea, or really anything other than a persistent 'empty' feeling that makes me think "I want to vape." I do miss the mental jolt of nicotine, but I'm realizing that I'm no more anxious without it. The only consequence of this empty feeling is that I feel like I can't really concentrate, but I think that's going to get better, and all I'll have to deal with is the cravings. But they're not like "OMG GIMME NICOTINE" cravings, they're just like, "Oh I could go for a vape right now" kinda cravings. Like how you crave a cold gatorade after a few hours out in the hot sun. I decided to quit 2 days ago because I was hit by a car on my bike and the doctor said that nicotine is bad for wound healing. I'm determined to get back on my bike ASAP, and vaping didn't mix with exercise to begin with. I came on this site and found 7WOODSTOCK's post about his own journey and decided to pull the trigger myself. I'll keep updating my progress, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what it's like to not miss nicotine after a while? Do they find that after the withdrawal adjustment period, they can concentrate like normal?

Barbscloud

Welcome.   Congrats on 2 days nicotine free.  Some quitters do report having problems concentrating in the beginning. There are two aspects to quitting--the physical and psychological.   The latter typically lasts longer.  Stay close and reach out if you need support.

Barb

Hi anyone who may be following this. I'm now 6 days nicotine-free. I think I am through the worst of the cravings, and as Barbscloud said, the mental aspects of quitting are the ones I'm left with at this point. I encourage anyone thinking about quitting who smokes a pack or less a day (I vaped about the equivalent of a pack a day in nicotine) to try quitting. I read 7WOODSTOCK's post here and it felt better about how rough it would be, and for me he was right. The first week is not great, but it is important that I tell you that it's really not awful either. To anyone who has quit alcohol after a daily habit, the withdrawal symptoms are much less intense for nicotine. I still wake up and think, "Where's my vape?" but while over the first few days I would have that thought maybe 1-3 times an hour all day, I now really only have it less than 5 times a day, at predictable times like first waking up, after a meal, and before sleep at night. So it is getting easier to re-learn that nicotine is no longer a part of those activities. I wanna thank everyone who responded to my first post with encouragement, this whole community is really great and did me a lot of good.

YoungAtHeart

You quititude is showing!!  Good job understanding what is going on and what you need to do to be successful.  It bodes well for your success!

Keep at it!  It WILL aid in healing and you will be back on your bike in no time - and you won't vape anymore...how cool will THAT be?

0 Kudos