cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

7WOODSTOCK

2 days Ex. Will I learn to cope without it?

It's the end of my second day of quitting vaping. I have vaped potent nicotine very heavily for 5 years. I decided to quit 2 days ago as a result of the news broadcasting health concerns over vaping. I guess I lived thinking it was so benign to cigarettes that it doesn't even matter. 

Well, here I am today completely addicted in the throws of withdrawals and I am on my laptop looking for support. I

I tried the patch the first day but took it off after a few hours. Chewed some gum but that irritated my mouth. 

Here is my question.

I keep reaching into my pocket to grab my vape pen for a quick hit of nicotine and I just haven't yet. I am wondering is this pavlovian response is due to a rush of dopamine? This vape provides so much satisfaction for me.

Will I ever feel the feeling I have after a surge of nicotine after a big meal or the calm it provides in a stressful situation?

I need some support.

When will these withdrawals be over? Will I forever live a life without the coping that vaping provides?

I am clearly beginning to crack. How much worse is it going to get?

Thanks

Labels (1)
37 Replies
MDR_BDel

Hang in there.  The elders will have some good info for you soon.  The habits formed will start to pass as you get further into your quit.  I am 34 days quit (cold turkey from cigs) and I don't even really think about smoking much and it has only been a short time.  The first 7-10 days aren't the most fun, but after that it starts to get much better every day.  

I know different people have different experiences, but days 3-5 were the worst for me.  5-10 weren't great, but started feeling better.  After 10 days I felt strong in my quit and every day since has been better than the previous one.  

Good luck with your new quit and just get through that short time frame and you will be so happy on the other side.  

Strudel

Welcome to the site! Yes, it will get better. It is the addiction to nicotine which is so powerful. Those of us who smoked suffered from the same addiction....and we came out in the other side. You will too. Keep Hanging out here and reading. Smoking or vaping - neither gives us anything of value! Congrats on your quit - you can do this! 

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 2 days of freedom. Yes, you will get over the withdrawal. It takes time.  Each person is different so we can not tell you how long it will take.. It takes three days for the nicotine to be out of your system depending on how much you vaped.  You have to be willing to go through the withdrawal just like any other drug addiction it is part of the process. Drink plenty of water to help clean your system.  It may not be easy but it is doable and know that you will not die from it.  You could end up with respiratory disease if you continue to vape.. The reaching in your pocket is the habitual side of the addiction. Maybe put some cut up straws in your pocket to suck on  You can get through this one day at a time.  Stay close, never give up, never give in hang tough. You can do this one breath at a time. 

PrimeNumberJD

Will you ever get over it, you certainly will! YoungAtHeart‌ has a great welcome, she will be along soon. Allen Carr's Easyway to quit smoking explains well the psychology of it, basically your brain has falsely tied your addiction to feeling better, relieving stress, and so forth. Truth is, it is only relieving your withdraw. Day 3 is where the highest amount of craves are, they begin to subside after that. 

indingrl

WELCOME and CONGRATS on NICOTINE FREEDOM - GOOD JOB! Your doing FANTASTIC - education is the key - reading all info here and SUGGESTED to watch the early death videos at whyquit.com - it was an eye opener for ME watching Byron's video brought ME out of MY denial - I am a RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICT - it is ONE day at a time - YOUR aware of YOUR addiction and NOW YOU get to choose YOUR OWN STAYING quit - I am so glad for YOU

Mandolinrain

YES, YOU WILL GET OVER THIS STAGE ! Thats the good news, unfortunately it just takes time. The moment you give in and vape or smoke though, you will alert your brains receptors and it will set you up for the next crave. You need to STARVE these receptors and the only way to do it , is to not feed them nicotine.

I am so glad you are here and are quitiing. You might want to get some Vicks Vapor rub and a Vicks inhaler. I have no idea why but my craves were calmed down alot by putting in under my nose and using the inhaler when I didnt want to smell like a medicine chest. I drank lots of water and cleaned the ^%$#LL out of my house, I jumped on mini tramp and knitted and did anything to keep my hands busy. I also journaled my thoughts during particularly bad craves and wrote down alternative things to do. I had a Large cookie jar filled with things to beat a crave and I would actually go select out of the jar something to go do instead of smoke. Made it sorta fun. I also has a money jar that I put money in that I would have spent on cigarettes and watched that grow.

Anyway, WELCOME to Ex and hopefully you will stick around and let us help you and support you

PrimeNumberJD

How you doing 7WOODSTOCK‌?

7WOODSTOCK

Quick Update. I have been Nicotine Free now for almost a week. I am doing well although I find myself missing that reward I look forward to after a big meal or when I wake up. I find myself wondering if I will ever find a new reward system. 

Either way, I am hanging in there without replacements. I went on vacation and left my vape at home so I really had no choice. I am coming home today and where I know I have a bunch of nicotine devices which will all be thrown out immediately.

Thank you all for your support. I can't tell you how much this helped stay away from the nicotine.

indingrl

Yahoooooooooo CONGRATS 7 NICOTINE FREE DAYS - NON SMOKER LIFE STYLE LOOKS GOOD ON YOU -WAY TO GO!