Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mred21

Quitting Zyn Pouches

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I started using nicotine with Juul in or around 2016, after only using nicotine occasionally (literally 5-10 times) throughout university.  I work on wall street in an extremely demanding and high-stress environment.  I started using the Juul as something to do to pass the time when I was traveling and as a medium for stress relief.  Eventually, I felt terrible from vaping; sore throat, sporadic chest pain, etc.  

Enter Zyn, the tobaccoless nicotine salt pouch that entered the US markets around 2-3 years ago.  It seemed to be the perfect solution for me, as it seemed to cause no ancillary effects besides the desired nicotine buzz and stress-relief effects I was looking for.  Eventually, this turned into a 6-7 pouch a day habit (appox. 36-42mg nicotine daily).  In terms of overall health effects, I have noticed very little, aside from the occasional abrasions from the placement of the pouch.  There is very little research on the long-term effects of the pouches, but I am starting to be concerned about the potential health issues associated with longer term use.  I've tried to quit here and there, with little success.  Typically, I start again by convincing myself that similar products (snus) have some extensive research and relatively good safety profiles as a nicotine delivery system.  

Here's the issue.  I've noticed that when I take a break for a week or two, I really have no cravings.  Even in the early stages, I don't find myself craving the pouches.  The main problem I've been having during the quit is the brain fog.  It is unbearable.  As I mentioned, my job is extremely demanding and requires constant attention, focus, and action.  When I quit, I feel like I am in a constant state of detachment and wholly separated from my critical thinking facilities.  In addition to that, I have been studying for a notoriously difficult industry charter and really cannot afford to be in that state for a prolonged period of time.  

I wanted to reach out to this board and see if anyone has had a similar experience with "brain fog" as a withdrawal symptom.  Has anyone found a way to combat it?  Can anyone comment on the duration of the brain fog effect?  

I have my quit date set for a week from today.  Using that time to cut the frequency and dosage in half (3-4 pouches daily: 18-24mg of nicotine).  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone. We just released some new content on Quitting Zyn and other oral nicotine pouches . I also invite you to check out a post from the Mayo Clinic team:  Nicotine Pouch Products: More than just nicotine - EX Community  

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

Congratulations on your decision to quit using nicotine.. You will need to substitute snus as you do the readings I will recommend.  While Zyn is a different delivery system - it is, at its basest, a nicotine addiction   As such, the ways to break free from it start with education, preparation, planning, support and commitment to stop using it NO MATTER WHAT. This community can help you with all but the last.  It is somewhat like vaping since you can use anytime, anywhere, and that might make it a bit more difficult to break free.  But - it CAN be done.  

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” which can be found online or at your local library. 

You might spend some time practicing how you will deal with stress without the drug.  You can take slow/deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each, or take a break and do a set of stairs or march in place.  Do schedule breaks during your day to unwind a bit so the stress level doesn't keep building.

You might want to learn about the quit aids that are available.  If you decide to go that route, I recommend those that don't let the addict control the dose such as the patch or Rx drugs.

The idea is to change up your routines so the  associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you used. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first use with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in  areas  so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your supply shop.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all),, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that nagging need thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a list of things to do instead of use if you need some fresh ideas: 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/101-Things-to-Do-Instead-of-Smoke/ba-p/1028319

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want pop in a snu" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

I look forward to your participation here.

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex @Mred21   "Brain fog" is common for many quitters.  I can understand your concern having a demanding job.   Knowing that it's normal and it will pass, hopefully can help you get through this period.   

"Mental ‘Fog’

This may be the hardest to describe but it’s incredibly common. Without the common supply of chemicals your body expects, it can be difficult for your brain to work as it should. You might feel less alert, have a harder time focusing or paying attention and listening. In effect, it feels like you’re in a ‘fog.’ With time the fog will clear."

Work on finding ways  to substitute the loss of dopamine that comes with the absence of nicotine. There are lots of thing you can do.  Exercise is a great way--even just walking stimulates it's  production.

Have you thought about using an aid?   It might just be enough nicotine to help get through this period.   And there are also medications like Chantix and Welbutrin.  

Don't know if this is even an option, but can you discuss with your employer  that you're quitting nicotine and that you may not be 100 % temporarily?   

There are many quitters on this site that are here to support you.  Begin your journey!

Barb 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mred21 Glad you are here and are posting about wanting to quit. I know there are others who also are using Zyn and want to quit but they may have not been ready to post to start their quit journey. You're helping more people now than you realize. 

You're already in good hands with a couple responses. I look forward to your journey unfolding. 

I did find a couple other posts on the topic:  Tag: "Quitting Zyn" - EX Community  

EX Community Admin Team
maryfreecig

In trying to quit, do you mean that you last about two or three weeks before you go back?

If so, this isn't enough time to unlearn the dependency. In my experience, demanding jobs do not require nicotine or other stimulants. The job isn't causing your dependency--you can do your work without taking nicotine (don't undersell your self!!!).

If you can't afford brain fog, then work around it for the few weeks it takes to get over it. Take more breaks--even if they are short ones. Still your mind for a few seconds when high stress comes along. Then continue. Healthy eating, water, deep breathing matter.

With your effort, you will get over the dependency and learn that it is not what makes you relax or do your work better, or handle stress. You are worth much more than nicotine. Much, much, much more.

YoungAtHeart

And, to @maryfreecig 's point, you will actually experience LESS stress when you aren't searching for a snu, or wondering whether you have enough in your backpack to get through the day, or planning how you are going to get out of work in time to buy more.  ALL of the stress of the addiction will be gone.

And, let me tell you, it is worth what it takes to get there - I promise!

Nancy

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s @Mred21 

Brain Fog is a withdrawal symptom…be sure to get extra rest when you can during that time…it doesn’t last…You can do this…you have received great advice above me…be sure to do the work…and know that many of us had stress in our lives, but eventually quit the habit…it is learning to deal with stress without the nico…keep close we are here to help you…~ Colleen 932 DOF 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mred21 How are things?

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mred21 how are you? We haven’t heard from you in a while.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone. We just released some new content on Quitting Zyn and other oral nicotine pouches . I also invite you to check out a post from the Mayo Clinic team:  Nicotine Pouch Products: More than just nicotine - EX Community  

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos