Give and get support around quitting

lois2

Quitters in Their 60's

WECOME,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
47 Replies
Yaya2.6.10

Great idea for a group, Lois.  I hope folks join and get a conversation going.  I know an addict is an addict, etc., but an being an old addict does present some challenges.  It also made it easier in some ways to Quit.  I knew that there aren't a lot of second chances left and I wanted to be the best that I could be. 

0 Kudos
lois2

yaya you have done such a great job in your quit, i hope i will keep this quit, i should ,  i am tired of going threw these quit,

0 Kudos

Hi, all.....from Boston..

I have tried to qjuit many times.......I have good intentions - and then I get a bit "antsy" and'll want to go buy smokes. This morning after 24 hours clean, I asked a friend for a smoke.......Still have not bought any tho.. Any suggestions?

Rich

0 Kudos
Dex3

Hello,

Well this fits me to a tee. I'm 60 and quit 4/09 after 42 years. I actually had my first one at 11, but didn't start in earnest until I was 18. I quit a few times before, but never was sucessful. Do you know why that happened? I truly believe it was because I didn't really quit. I stopped smoking for awhile, but hadn't made the final decision to actually stop myself. First time quitting was from prodding from a friend, second....pressure from family. I stopped, or should I say put off smoking for some time. I always wanted a cig with those two attempts. Understand, I had been smoking up to three packs a day. When  ..again I said "I" made the decision to stop, I found that making the commitment was the hardest part and actually staying off cigs was less of a problem. I sure wish I could have figured this out earlier. Think of the money and health issues........... I still have cravings once in awhile, but I do truly believe that I have beat the monkey that I carried for 42 years. Smoke free for 18 months now and I really don't believe I will go back. It can be done.................Good luck to all quitting................Dex

0 Kudos
lois2

my quit is for the 11of oct. i always have good intention, i don't want to think i can't not bet this when i know we can, one day at a time dex 18 months is GREAT, i will keep trying until i suceed, and Rich if you have your mine set on quitting don.t but any more cigg. i know it is ruff  ,but we can do this

0 Kudos
gypsy6

Hello, I'm a newbie on my 2nd day with the help of Zyban.  It's nice to have a site like this were people can related to what you're going thru.

0 Kudos

Hi, all.  Just ran out of Pall Mall's...........If I quit I'll have more $$$$.......and, etc.etc.......

0 Kudos

I am NOT old.I am just wrinkly....

0 Kudos
Dex3

Hi again,

You know if for no other reason, the money you save can be substantial. I was at 3 packs a day and they were $4.50 or so when I quit. Let's see......$4.50 x 3= $13.50 x 365 (no holidays for smokers) = $4927 a year. That's a lot of cake!! I'm not saying that I now have all this extra money floating around, but it certainly helped the budget and I did treat myself to a couple of things. I think that is important. Rich, one thing I never figured out on previous quits was that the craving only lasts about 5 minutes or so. It of course comes back later, but if you can distract yourself for just a short time, you can get through a few more hours, etc, etc. In past attempts I didn't really know that and of course gave in after about 3 minutes. Just some ideas............Dex

0 Kudos