cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Nymous

Quit-relapse cycle.

Fourth quit this year. Each quit has lasted from 1 month to 45 days. Time between quits has been two weeks. 

On the positive side - I think that I have not smoked much this year. 

On the downside, I am giving up easily every #$%ing time. This one has been so far 3 weeks, i think. but totally disappointed in me. I was embarrassed to come here and admit my weakness but I guess I did it today. 

Each time that  I slipped up, no one to blame except me...

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Nymous

That is a interesting perspective.. Honestly I also thought about it too... I know smoking is bad, i need to stay healthy for my family etc.. the key trigger for me is arguments with close family members..

0 Kudos
desiree465

Can you pin point what it is that keeps making you relapse? When I was having a real hard time I would always come on this site and blog about it. Usually by the time I was done writing the craving would pass and I would feel accomplished that I got through it. 

elvan

That is a really good idea...to consider what sent you over the edge in the past....my trigger was invariably anger and I had never learned to handle it.  I would sit down and smoke FURIOUSLY as I envisioned the person or thing I felt the anger toward spontaneously combusting.   Obviously, that never happened...the only thing damaged was my own body.  Smoking does not help with anything...we cannot grow if we are always stuffing our feelings and no crave ever killed anyone.

Ellen

Nymous

That is exactly my trigger. It is not associations of good times but mostly frustration and anger and arguments with people close to me. All other associations are fine. I can overcome easily but when this happens it is like I forget about everything and there is just anger. Every single time, I have bought a pack, smoked it in less than two days and I am back on my quit cycle. Obviously I need to grow up and find other ways to deal with it.

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Yup, anger, resentment, bitterness, feeling helpless and powerless can feel pretty bad. Who wants to feel bad? I don't think it's about growing up so much as adding coping to your to do list. Breathing is good. Calming down is good. Taking a look at the feeling is good--especially is you feel powerless. It's ok to let feelings go. I've faced (probably most quitters have) those sticky feelings....I get it, can feel so awful. But one step at a time, the feelings can be felt and let go of without smoking.

0 Kudos
elvan

I remember it well...sitting outside, smoking as fast as I could, all the while, picturing the object of my anger going up in smoke.  Guess what?  Never worked...my LUNGS pretty much have been incinerated and the objects of my anger went merrily on their way.  It is okay to feel anger, it is okay to feel sad or any other emotion you can imagine...it is okay to FEEL.  It is NOT OKAY to smoke and stuff...exercise is a great way to release anger and to actually feel LIFTED out of the doldrums.   Hang in there, keep blogging.

Ellen

0 Kudos
lacimae84

Congratulations on 3 weeks! I hit 3 weeks today too. I think of going back at least once a day. I'm glad I haven't and I don't really want to but the point is that we all think about it. I smoked 1/2 a pack a day for 18 years and sometimes I really miss my oldest friend Camel. Don't beat yourself up and keep trying! It's so hard but it's possible.  Find a hobby, find a friend, and just keep trying! Good luck!

elvan

Congratulations on three weeks lacimae84‌!  Good for you.  It DOES get easier and there will come a time when you don't think of smoking for a day and then a week and on and on.

Ellen

shashort

Get up shake the dust off and lets make this your last quit.  You got great advice above, read, study, come here as much as you can and read, come and blog what your feeling and let us help you get through the hard spots, that is what we are here for. You CAN do this!! Quitting is hard but is definitely possible and DOABLE!  Stick to it and use your tool box, add NOPE (not one puff ever) and one day at a time will get you to freedom you are seeking.  Hang tough!!!