cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Nomiroo

I have surgery at the end of this month. When’s the best time to quit?

I’ve quit and started so many times I just want to be successful this time

20 Replies

NOW is always the best time to stop smoking.  Stopping NOW you will not be jumping anxious to smoke even more before or after your surgery.  You should be relatively peaceful about it by then.

If you want to be successful -- don't smoke that first one after you have quit.  It only leads to another one eventually (and usually in a relatively short period of time after the first puff/cig).  We are addicts and the only way not to be drawn back into active addiction once quit is to not smoke.  Period. 

It's simple (the Law of Addiction).  Not always easy, but simple.  You can do it too.  You can.  Choose it!  Best Wishes. 

I'll Quit Smokig Excuses.png ....   A PERFECT time to quit!

Now. 

Mandolinrain

Not until you understand the addiction. The only reason I say this is because my opinion is, that your success rides on your understanding of how nicotine works in your brain and by having a plan of action ahead of time to combat the craves that will come no matter how you quit,.....be it cold turkey, patches, gum....etc....

The best way to understand is to read read read....on this very site. Read Allen Carrs SHORT book on THE EASYWAY TO QUIT SMOKING. It saved my life. 

You have all month before surgery, so I would soak up as much knowledge as you can now.....get some plans in order as to what you will do when those craves come, numbers of people who you can call for support...get a bit more active here. Then quit right before your surgery. You will also have a better recovery

Sure, you can quit right now. Without knowledge...but I feel thats a bad plan. You are going to war. Be prepared. Understand the enemy. You can do this, and beat this but be smart about about.

Thats my best opinion on it...it took me several failures before I did just this. Just trying to save you the pain.

The more you know, the stronger you will be going into your quit. I wish you the very best and I hope we see lots of you!We have your back!

JACKIE1-25-15

The sooner the better.  Welcome to EX.  Education is the key to a successful quit.

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started by reading, watching the videos, learning about your triggers and tracking cigarettes if you are not quitting right now. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

elvan

Education is key to a successful quit but it's not a silver bullet...you have to COMMIT to a quit.  I would say the sooner the better but do the reading JACKIE1-25-15‌ recommended and make a plan...My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  I tracked cigarettes and I absolutely knew that I did not want to fail again...I had done so countless times.  I did not want to disappoint myself or anyone else.  Read this blog by JonesCarpeDiem‌ that I read over and over again when I quit this time.../blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months I also recommend two written by YoungAtHeart‌ For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too) ...the blog itself is great and so are the comments.  This one will give you some ideas..../blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke  The biggest thing to remember and to accept is that smoking does nothing FOR you, it really does not help with stress or pain whether it is physical or emotional, it does not make anything better but it CAN cause inconceivable damage.  It will slow any healing from surgery...quitting is not an event, it is a one day at a time journey...one step at a time.  We don't grow emotionally as long as we smoke because we stuff our feelings into nicotine.  This site will give you support and help that you cannot possibly imagine.  You will grow in ways that will make you truly happy.

Welcome to EX...stay close to the site, come here every morning and every evening, blog, read blogs, comment, pay attention to advice, it is offered with love.  One day at a time...it starts with education, make a plan, set a date, and stick to it NO MATTER WHAT. My mantra when I came here was NOPE...it stands for Not One Puff Ever.  It was easy to remember and each time I said it whether it was quietly or out loud, my commitment got stronger and so did I.

We are here to help you and every single one of us started at the beginning, there are no shortcuts on this journey, "The Only Way Out is Through."

Ellen

Barbscloud

You have to want to quit first.   I have found it impossible to quit because I was "supposed to" for some medical procedure.   I was already too stressed out.  That being said, you have an entire month to educate yourself and prepare for your quit.    So start early and don't wait until the end of the month.

MarilynH

Welcome to the community please read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information here to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and start living a life of Freedom, be willing determined and totally committed to succeed in your upcoming quit and you can and will be successful one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at a time but you must believe it so stay close and do the reading to prepare yourself then set up a quit date and when your Day ONE arrives stay close to this site because we're all here to help you in any way we can and at the end of the day you'll be able to look yourself in the mirror and smile and say yay for Day WON with many more to come you can do this quit believe it, you'll come out the anesthesia so much easier and heal so much faster just know that quitting smoking Is absolutely difficult to say the least but very Doable and totally worth it to be Free. Nomiroo

My vote is for today. It's a Holiday and  you'll be less likely to sacrifice your special quit day. Plus you need to be as far past withdrawal as you can before the surgery.

Make the Fourth of July your own personal FREEDOM DAY!

IrishRose

I love that idea, Thomas3.20.2010‌ .  What do you think, Nomiroo‌ ?  Let us know.

Irish Rose 

0 Kudos