cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

katleen

Quit day-December 31-this year

Hi,

Became a member a few days ago, and am panicking even though my quit day isn't here yet. Am on the buses a lot, going to appointments, etc. and even writing down each smoke is a challenge. Hit 28 one day, and that didn't include the evening. Scarey. I have COPD, and am having difficulty walking far or uphill, and two beautiful grandchildren that I hide from around the corner to smoke . My son and daughter-in-law, too. Am 54 and smoking since I was 13. Any support I can get, even in this stage, will be much appreciated. Have a nicotine inhaler am trying to use more often, and patches, as well, for when the day comes. Anyway, that's me. Am terrified even though am more terrified of not being able to move around, so here I be.

Thank you, all, very much for this site.

katleen

0 Kudos
6 Replies
brenda61

Welcome Katleen. I have copd too. You have come to the right place. New Year's Eve is your quit date. That's a wonderful time. Just in time for the new year. Keep blogging your thoughts you will meet lots of friends here.

0 Kudos
katleen

Hi Brenda,

Thank you.

Just saying it out loud helped some.

katleen

0 Kudos
brenda61

Say it aloud all you want that is what we are here for.

0 Kudos
shae4

Now is the time to prepare to quit so start yourself on a self-displine and also read how to quit and what to expect and start to set your goals it can be done

0 Kudos
ana-h

Katleen, I was also terrified, and a newbie on this because it has only been 1 day 14 hours since I quit but I’m determent to stay quit. I cannot stand the way my clothes smell.  The support in this site has help me allot. Stay strong.      

0 Kudos
katleen

To all of you, a BIG thank you.

I smoke so much by habit, that even writing each cigarette down is a challenge. Have noticed my trigger is every fifteen minutes or so, and every opportunity. No wonder I have COPD. Am working with a counselor as have been using smoking to block emotional pain for many years. Is it all gonna come storming out when I do quit? Another thing I've noticed is once I light up I don't pay much attention to the rest. I have all of you. I have my blue ladybug timer, am going to start delaying each one using it. And meditating whenever possible. Have my crafts and paints out, and my bird Boo is easy to relax with. Also quit counselors from the state program,and meds. So a whole army. I really want this. Am waiting to ask my son for permission to use a picture of him and my grandbabies for a profile picture, as they are really my life, and smokes have been a barrier. And am learning about using affirmations in a group. I say these things to shore myself up but am hoping some of what's here may help others. What a journey! All my admiration and respect to those who have quit, even for a few hours,

Sincerely

Pistash10

alias stash

0 Kudos