cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quit date set for 6/24. Worried and questioning my ability.

About a week ago I decided that I want to quit smoking. I have severe anxiety and even thinking about it increases it. I lost my mother 2 years ago, she was 60 years old. She needed a heart and had an LVAD. Her actual cause of death was her trach was pulled out while they were moving her in the hospital. I was diagnosed with PTSD when I was 21. On July 24th, 2017 (11 months on June 24th) my blood pressure was out of control.. like 196/204 (I think?) and I decided then I wanted to live. My average BP was around 180/90 with meds. I no longer had health insurance so I no longer had meds. I have since that moment lost -130 lbs., 6 lbs. to go until I have lost half of my body weight. I can't wait until my goal to quit smoking. I was worried about weight gain but now not so much since I am super active. I don't have much family. My brother was diagnosed with cancer 6 years ago, not yet a cure. He was healthy, never a smoker. I am a wife and a mother. I don't smoke in the house or car and my husband only knows that I smoke. I have been a smoker for 20 years. Again, I am making this decision because I want to live. I don't want to leave my children without a mother if I can do something about it. I feel that smoking makes me feel better, it calms me down. This may be in my head. I am worried that I won't be ok. I feel lost, alone and feel like I need them. I am going to start with the patches. I have hope that they will help me though I am super worried. I can't even go an hour without a cigarette without having to go out again. I know I am saying can't and I can. I have to quit. This is not an option and I CAN and WILL do this!! I am still worried and question my ability. I worry about smoking in the mornings, not sure if the patch will help me with these things. I know it will be baby steps, one moment at a time. Looking at my future as a non-smoker is too much for me. I often put way to much thought into everything. I hope that it's easier than it is in my thoughts. Does the patch help with not wanting a cigarette? How long does it usually last, the thought of wanting one? Does this happen throughout the day, like is it worse in the mornings? I know everyone is different. I tried to google information and there is just too much for me to process. I'm just not sure what to really expect. 

61 Replies
elvan

I sit outside and blow bubbles and watch them float in the air and pick up all kinds of colors.  My respiratory therapist suggested it because it helps with very disciplined breathing.  The idea of a new spot to sit outside is really helpful, it made a big difference to me...I did not want to smoke around my pretty plants and my new chair cushions...there are lots of things you can do, including wind chimes.

Hang on, Laurie, PLEASE.

Hugs,

Ellen

0 Kudos
Giulia

None of us realized how much of our lives revolved around smoking until we stopped it.  That's one of the first eye openers on the journey.  And then you start to smell things you never smelled before.  And that's a nose opener.  lol  All those beautiful (and awful!) scents around us that smoking destroyed.  Then there are our taste buds that perk back up.  There are so many things we learn, especially about ourselves, on this journey.  It's quite wonderful and empowering, actually.  But it takes a while to come to that conclusion because the beginning is so rough.  

Nothing wrong with keeping "I never want to go through this again" as part of your thinking.  I do believe that is one of the things that has kept me smoke free for 12 years.  The idea of going back to another day one is just NOT gonna happen!  My mantra was NADO (Never Another Day One!)  You will get to the point where it's easier to remain smoke free than it is to begin a new quit.  Just get through one day at a time.  That's how we all did it.  Stand tall!

0 Kudos