cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quit date set for 6/24. Worried and questioning my ability.

About a week ago I decided that I want to quit smoking. I have severe anxiety and even thinking about it increases it. I lost my mother 2 years ago, she was 60 years old. She needed a heart and had an LVAD. Her actual cause of death was her trach was pulled out while they were moving her in the hospital. I was diagnosed with PTSD when I was 21. On July 24th, 2017 (11 months on June 24th) my blood pressure was out of control.. like 196/204 (I think?) and I decided then I wanted to live. My average BP was around 180/90 with meds. I no longer had health insurance so I no longer had meds. I have since that moment lost -130 lbs., 6 lbs. to go until I have lost half of my body weight. I can't wait until my goal to quit smoking. I was worried about weight gain but now not so much since I am super active. I don't have much family. My brother was diagnosed with cancer 6 years ago, not yet a cure. He was healthy, never a smoker. I am a wife and a mother. I don't smoke in the house or car and my husband only knows that I smoke. I have been a smoker for 20 years. Again, I am making this decision because I want to live. I don't want to leave my children without a mother if I can do something about it. I feel that smoking makes me feel better, it calms me down. This may be in my head. I am worried that I won't be ok. I feel lost, alone and feel like I need them. I am going to start with the patches. I have hope that they will help me though I am super worried. I can't even go an hour without a cigarette without having to go out again. I know I am saying can't and I can. I have to quit. This is not an option and I CAN and WILL do this!! I am still worried and question my ability. I worry about smoking in the mornings, not sure if the patch will help me with these things. I know it will be baby steps, one moment at a time. Looking at my future as a non-smoker is too much for me. I often put way to much thought into everything. I hope that it's easier than it is in my thoughts. Does the patch help with not wanting a cigarette? How long does it usually last, the thought of wanting one? Does this happen throughout the day, like is it worse in the mornings? I know everyone is different. I tried to google information and there is just too much for me to process. I'm just not sure what to really expect. 

61 Replies
Giulia

RAH RAH!!!!  Over half a day.  You GO!

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS!

Thank you! I feel like I'm losing my mind.. however I am trying so hard to stay positive. Smoking is not an option.

0 Kudos
elvan

Can't tell you how many times I felt like I was losing my mind but I CAN tell you that it's better than losing your BREATH.  That is terrifying.  You are doing GREAT and WeAREallmadhere...

You definitely have made a great point! Thank you. By the way, I share not only the Mad Hatters madness with him.. (my birthday) is on his day. 

Giulia

It's ok to lose your mind, just don't lose your quit!  smiling smiley

My mind was really already gone.  I will not lose my quit! Thank you!

Lauralives

I found that after a while, I was so much calmer than when I smoked.  Checking all the stats, you probably know how it lowers your blood pressure, etc.  We are all here for each other so hang in there.  Hugs to you!!  Laura

Thank you Laura. Right now I am almost to calm at almost 48 hours. I went from 30k to 10k per day for my step count! I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow because I need the activity! I started this journey almost 11 months into my weight loss journey.. with around 6 lbs to go. (I've lost -130 lbs and I'm worried about a gain with my quit.) My BP had went from around 190/90 when it was at its lowest to around 130/70 with my loss so I'm curious what quitting smoking will do.

0 Kudos
elvan

One thing at a time...seriously...I understand the importance of the weight loss but PLEASE put your energy into staying quit, it is a full time job at the beginning.  I did not gain weight...I DID move more and I ate BETTER foods.

When is the Mad Hatter's birthday???

XO,

Ellen