cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quit date is feb 14 of this year

I just joined this website. My mom and I have decided to quit on the same day. We live in different states but it's okay. We are still supporting each other.

What really hit home for me is my daughter's birthday is on valentines day and she is going to be 5 this year. She asked me a couple of days ago "Mommy are you ever going to quit smoking?" I said "someday." in reply. She said "I want you to stop smoking for my birthday." I said "Okay." She said "Promise me mommy." So I promised to her I would quit. I don't care how moody i get or if I gain weight, I promised my daughter I would quit. I want to be here for her for as long as I can. I also have an 8 month old son who is my world. I love him so much.

I am divorced and what else hit home is my ex husband's mother in law recently found out she has lung cancer. It is so advanced and they caught it so late it has caused over 12 lesions on her brain. It is from smoking for 30 plus years. They told her with radiation they can get her 6 months. She is on 56. I know my daughter is going to be devastated because this is her grandma on her dad's side. I need to be here for her. Now everytime I light up I think of her going through radiation and being so sick she cant walk unassisted.

That and my daughter have made me want to quit. I'm pretty sure if I keep that in mind at all times and let it motivate me I can do this!!

My fiance is my biggest cheerleader. He has never smoked a day in his life and has been urging me to quit for quite some time now. Well better late than never. I'm 24 and getting married this september. I need to give life a chance and put away the cancer sticks for good!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tmarcin

Good on ya!  Another site that has motivated me to stay off the cigarettes (granted it's only been 5 days but hey) is whyquit.com  The images on the home page are a little graphic but they remind me of what WILL happen if I don't stay off the cancer sticks!  Good luck to you and your mom!

0 Kudos