cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bbridgette8

Quit Zyn 2 days ago

Hi there everyone! I just quit zyn two days ago. I was using almost a whole can of 6mg zyn a day and would be struggling to get through a morning without it if I forgot to buy some the night before. The other day I woke up and just didn't want any, so I went through that day and didn't think about it much. Today the cravings hit me, I have been chewing gum all day and eating mints to try and help. I switched from vaping to zyn's a few years back to try and quit smoking altogether but I loved the burning sensation zyn's give on the gums and never stopped. I found this website while browsing for signs of withdrawals from nicotine and I think you all are great! Thank's for being here for us and for yourselves ❤️

Labels (1)
9 Replies
tracy0924

Hi @bbridgette8 . Well I have to admit I had never heard of ZYN before so I had to go Google it before I even tried to reply to you! As it looks, it is a form of nicotine and needs to be handled just like any other nicotine product if you’re looking at quitting. I would tell you the best thing is to read first and make your plan for quitting before setting a quit date and starting but it sounds like you are already past that point and have quit. So I would say you still need to read as much as can about the brain and nicotine addiction, and the best thing you can do now is make sure you put together your EX plan, including a list of alternatives to using your ZYN when your cravings hit. 
This IS an awesome site! I quit 131 days ago and I would not have made it this far without EX! The people here are warm and caring and are very supportive of those who are quitting because all of us have been in your shoes before. It doesn’t matter what kind of nicotine you are quitting, we have been there and know what it’s like to go through nicotine withdrawals and to relearn our lives without nicotine. I would like to tag some of the “elders“ who will come to welcome you and have links to various videos and information that you should see as you are starting your quit. I wish you the best and I hope that we see A lot of you ongoing on our journal/blog page where most of the blogs are posted and you will get the most readership. You CAN do this! Keep the faith!🤗🤗💕

Tracy 131 DOF (days of freedom)

@YoungAtHeart @Barbscloud @MarilynH @sweetplt @Maki 

Tracy
bbridgette8

Thank you Tracy! I really appreciate the support. So far I have made sure I am drinking plenty of water and making sure I don't let myself get hungry. I have also been chewing more gum than I probably have all together in the last 5 years. I went straight to google and found this community when I started having more noticeable cravings. Congratulations on 131 days! 

sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s @bbridgette8 

I am not overly familiar with Zyn … however, knowing it is a nicotine product, I know it has to be addicting.

You have come to the right place.  I like that you have already quit and are drinking a lot of water and not letting yourself get hungry.  I found taking walks, exercising, doing jigsaw puzzle, knitting, meditation and prayer helped me especially in those early days)…it is important to know your triggers and determine what you will do in place of ZYN.  

You can do this…along with a plan, knowledge of addiction and support.

Be sure to come to the support site for help and / or to encourage others along this journey.  The longer you stay away from the nicotine, the stronger you become and the weaker nicotine becomes in your body and mind.

We are here for you…~ Colleen 1157 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

A more visible place to post on this site is the blogs (Home-top left; "Post a Journal/Blog"-center blue box).  You will reach a wider audience there.  

While the information and tips I will provide mention cigarettes, nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction regardless of the delivery method.  The addiction and ways to break free from it are the same!  You might also search for Zyn in the top search box to find other discussions on quitting its use.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6yEfk-NW2E 

From my own experience and that of others here, if you decide to use a quit aid, I recommend those that don't let the addict control the dose such as Rx drugs and the patch.The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the page.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/101-Things-to-Do-Instead-of-Smoke/ba-p/1028319

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

@bbridgette8 Welcome to the Ex.  I have no experience with Zyn but I see advertisements pushing it when I'm buying gas.  I'm glad you found us while looking for information about quitting.  You can't have too much information about nicotine addiction and what you need to know to quit.   Knowledge and being prepared has led to a successful quit for many of us.  

Distract yourself when a craving hits.  Walking was my favorite, but are lots of options.

Craving Busters 

We're here for you, so stay close and reach out if you need support.

Barb

MarilynH

Welcome to the community @bbridgette8 please read the links suggested above and keep reading everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will perservere through whatever comes your way and you'll do one precious day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths and believe in yourself because we believe in you and we're rooting you on You've got this! 

Thanks for the mention @tracy0924 

Maki

A previous post from a couple years ago . 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Support/ZYN-Nicotine-Withdrawal/td-p/281414

I just want to welcome you to a Ex  and commend you for reaching out , for recognizing you need to quit and for sharing your experience . 

I did a google search on Ex to see if any others had experience with zyn and how they quit . I found this old post and did a google search to read up on what truth initiative had to say . There is not a lot of information out there . 

Your journey will help many . 

I think you will find the support you need here and tools that will be effective to help you quit .  I look forward to your shares that can help educate us and others who may be searching for help on quitting zyn .

We are here to support one another and learn from each other . Tracy has given you good advise . Reading is knowledge and educating ourselves on addiction is an important tool . 

I would suggest the five ds .. discuss , drink water , delay , distract , diaphragmatic deep breathing techniques and two I like to add to that are do something different , don't smoke and halt . Many cigarettes could be avoided if we ask ourselves why we are smoking . Are we hungry  , angry lonely , tired . 

One step at a time , one day at a time . Stay close . 

bbridgette8

Thank you all for sharing with me, it is greatly appreciated. Still haven't relapsed on the nicotine, the withdrawals have progressed since yesterday. To be honest I would have a Zyn in almost all day since nobody noticed. I have been trying to get to my schoolwork and life stuff today but have a bunch of brain fog. Definitely groggy and already ready to go back to sleep. I will post future updates in the blog section. Thanks again everyone ❤️ 🙂

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone. We just released some new content on Quitting Zyn and other oral nicotine pouches 

EX Community Admin Team