cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lbendy

A Recent College Grad Finally Cutting Out Nicotine (Using Zyn, former Vape User)

Hi All, 

I've done a bit of exploring on the community and have loved all the support and resources that are here – kudos to all who take the time to upkeep it. A little about myself: I recently graduated from college, where I got caught up in the vaping craze. I've managed to get over the oral fixation of it, and have been using Zyn since about the time the pandemic started. I've wanted to get nicotine out of my life completely for a while, and have had a few failed attempts in the past. This time I want it to stick. 

I'm currently using about 1/3 - 1/2 of a can of Zyn a day, about 6 pouches. I've been using the strong ones, 6mg each. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but that's about the equivalent nicotine of over two packs of cigarettes a day (assuming that all the nicotine in a pouch is absorbed). 

I've had some experience with withdrawal symptoms in the past, mainly fogginess, irritability, and fatigue. I'm expecting to have some of these symptoms again when my quit date rolls around (8/18). With the amount of nicotine my body is used to, I also plan to use some NRT methods to help wean off – the patch specifically, and potentially gum. Recommendations for dosage are more than welcome – I'm thinking it's probably best to start at Step 1 (again, given the amount of nicotine I'm used to), then stick to the schedule for moving through the doses.  My thought process was that given the enormous amount of nicotine my body is used to, it's worth starting right at the beginning rather than cutting to Step 2 and losing the quit. As mentioned above, I want this to stick. 

I've loved the suggestions for dealing with cravings I've seen in the many posts on the blog. While I'm still working out some methods that may work best for me, the inspiration is incredibly useful. A big part of my reason for quit is the way it makes my body feel. I can feel the way nicotine increases my heart rate. I used to be a runner – albeit not a fast one, but I could do the distance. My heart rate was much lower than it is now. Nicotine addiction, combined with my poor ability to stick with an exercise routine in school, has left me feeling weak in my own body. And that's not how I want to feel in my early twenties. All this goes to say, I imagine incorporating exercise into my quit will not only make the process easier, but help me build some habits I should already have (and want to have!).

I know there's not a lot of content around Zyn or other newer nicotine products on here. The only one I've been able to find is by someguy: (https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Support/ZYN-Nicotine-Withdrawal/td-p/281414) I hope this will be a nice addition to the library. Although I can't speak for a generation of people, I know many my age are looking to quit. Vaping was something many got caught up in, and are already regretting a few years down the road. The introduction of other nicotine products to the market that are a little more satiable to a young person's appetite than cigarettes only makes the situation worse around the country. Building out resources and content targeted to this situation will be a benefit to everyone. 

All that being said, I'm looking forward to quitting. I know it will be difficult, but the idea of being nicotine-free is exciting. I know my body (and my very small, postgrad bank account!) will be more than thankful not too far into the future. Looking forward to continuing to share with you all. 

Cheers!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome again @lbendy   I just responded to your other post.  Glad you're going to join us.

Welcome: Introduce Yourself! - EX Community

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone. We just released some new content on Quitting Zyn and other oral nicotine pouches 

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos