cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quit Juul

I quit 7 years ago and was doing well. I was about 6 weeks in with no slip ups using patches. Then our world was rocked losing a friend at sea and then our daughter being diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic melanoma. The stress mounted and I gave in to it. I quit cigarettes 4 years ago and switched to Juul. With some new health concerns and because I want to be around for my kids I’m starting the journey to quit again 
47971i00EE3D0E9F8C218C

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Barbscloud

@FootballFan5953   Welcome to the Ex.   Sorry to hear about such terrible tragedies in your life.   Coping with such stressors and quitting can be difficult.  Even though temporarily we think vaping/smoking is the answer to making us feel better, we soon realize that vaping/smoking had nothing to do with the emotions left behind.    If you still choose to use an aid there are many aids  and medications available.    You still have to do the work, but they can greatly reduce the withdrawal symptoms.

I have numerous attempts at quitting and it finally took me 50 years to get it right.  What was different this time?  I had a quit date, an aid, a class and cut down for a week. Sounds like a road to success.  I was fortunate to find the Ex a week prior to my quit.  I learned about nicotine addiction and that I needed a plan that would prepare for what I was going to encounter on my journey.  And for the first time, I had the support of fellow quitters.

Take the time to learn how to do this.  Part of it is mindset and part of it is hands on work identifying triggers, what tools you'll use, what associations you'll create instead of smoking, etc.   Spend time on the site, getting a well as giving support.  The early days take commitment so why not have other quitters to help you deal with the up and downs of this journey.

This link is a great place to start

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We're here for you so reach out anytime we can help.  Going for walk if your able,  is a great way to refocus your thinking and get an added boost of dopamine.   Spend time on the site when you need it the most 

Look forward to celebrating with you on the 18th.  Begin your day by taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barbscloud_0-1657811360406.jpeg

Barb

0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the encouragement and advice. I have patches ready. Downloaded Headspace for meditation. Signed up for texts and a coach. Have the support of my family. I know it’s not going to be easy but I’m ready and am setting myself up for success. I really appreciate you reaching out ♥️

Snowdoggie

@FootballFan5953 Welcome to Ex. There is great advice from Barb above me. I quit smoking 6 months ago after coming here. I suggest you read "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. You can substitute the word "vaping" for "smoking" when you read the book. It is a great resource about nicotine addiction. Also you might want to check out the "journals/blogs" section of this sight. And blogging will help you get support and stay quit. Wishing you success.🚭

0 Kudos

Thank you for support encouragement and advice. I firmly believe it takes a village and I appreciate you reaching out ♥️

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@FootballFan5953 Today is the big day.  How are you doing?

Barb

0 Kudos

Well I have a couple friends in town visiting and we had a boat day yesterday. One big last hurrah with cocktails great music and plenty of sunshine. Today has been fine because I’m recovering from all the fun we had. Lol. Going to the beach tomorrow. I think the distraction of having guests will help. They’re both non-smokers and great support. Thank you so much for checking in. That means a lot to me ♥️

Barbscloud

@FootballFan5953 Remember, there will never be a good time to quit. Hope today is the day.

Barb

0 Kudos