cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

SteveS1966

Quit Date Approaching

57 Years old and quitting for the 2nd time. Made it 3 months the first time right before the pandemic, thought I had it licked, and one **bleep** day in 2020 started this nasty disgusting cycle of smoking cigarettes yet again. I'm trying again, this Thursday, July 29th 2021. Never posted. May never again. However, 2 days away and I'm scared to death. This has helped. I'm gonna do it for good this time. Can't end up on a ventilator gasping for air. I want to check out of this world by something OTHER THAN LUNG CANCER. Whomever is out there, thanks for reading this. If there are responses thanks. I may not respond, but promise to read them. Ciao. 

Labels (1)
12 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@SteveS1966 Glad you posted. You sharing about you helps others support and assist you on your journey. If we don't hear from you we don't know what you need or want to know about you for your journey. So please continue to post and participate so that you can ensure that you overcome this.

EX Community Admin Team
MarilynH

Welcome to the community Ciao @SteveS1966 please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will succeed in living a life of Freedom and we're all here to help you in any way we can and we are rooting you on! Deep breaths and when your quit date arrives on Thursday keep your mind as well as your hands occupied and at the end of the day you'll be able to say YAY for DAY WON with many more to come, I chomped on carrots and celery sticks to which helped me through some cravings I also kept a bag of sugar free mints around plus I drank alot of water which also helped, stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent....

0 Kudos
Tguscilla

Glad you came back! I’m looking to quit in two weeks and all the conversations on this site has really helped me.

SteveS1966

Thanks. This WILL suck, but it must be done. How stupid are we? Phillip Morris controlling my life for 40+ YEARS. Your Quit Date is in 2 weeks. Good luck, glad someone is joining me for the ride. I do remember the 1st week as sucking beyond belief, but then getting easier, that's the key. Off to the races to not cough out of control for no reason anymore. I go to bed in 26 hours 22 minutes from now for the last time as a miserable smoker. "F" this!!!! 

Tguscilla

Keep up the positives. I’ve quit for a while before also but always thought the smoking helped with my stress. Now I’ve found out that it is actually adding to the anxiety/panic attacks I’ve been getting the past two months. Needed a bit of time to get  my anxiety under control with help of a few doctors who have been great. I was drinking so much coffee per day which only fueled my smoking and anxiety. I quit the coffee about 4 days ago. That was amazing in itself! Keep posting!

sending out prayers for your first day.

Barbscloud

@SteveS1966   Welcome to the Ex.  Congrats on your decision to quit.  While your on the site, educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan with the tools you'll use and the new associations you'll create instead of smoking.  Knowledge and preparation helps to alleviate the fear of quitting.  

Stay close, even if you don't post.  The support of other quitter's has made the difference for many quitters.

Look forward to celebrating with you on the 29th. 

One day at a time.

Barb

0 Kudos
SteveS1966

Last cigarette on 07/28 at 9:15pm. So 1 day +13 hours 45 minutes. Day 1 was tough. Coughing uncontrollably and sweating. Woke up today, much better. Urge is there, brain not understanding why I've been up for 4 hours and not had a smoke for a 2nd day. Will get past day 3 when everyone says this withdrawl gets easier. 

Barbscloud

@ Congrats on your first day of success.   Yes, this will get easier, but be patient with yourself.  You just eliminated nicotine and thousand of chemicals from your body.  It's going to react.  

You got this.  Stay close.

Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Barb

0 Kudos
SteveS1966

Day 3 is the worst. Everyone says this is the low point. So far, I have to agree. Philip Morris should be charged with war crimes for the knowing murder of so many with there product. Living in war torn middle east is horrendous, so it's hard to complain. 2 days 22 hours since my last Marlboro Red. Can't believe I let myself do this stupidity for 40 years. I'm a dummy, but I'm gonna beat this nonsense. Just wanted to vent. Thank you.