cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tamarah

Approaching my quit date

Jump to solution

I am 9 days away from my quit date. I have been tracking my urges and nicotine intake to get a better perspective on what triggers me and when/where I smoke the most. I'm pretty good during the work day because I'm busy, but I've noticed once I get home it's a whole other story. So I'm trying to make a list of things I can do while at home for when the cravings kick in (reading, puzzles, exercising, cleaning, organizing, being here, journaling, etc.). I am going to visit a friend this weekend to celebrate her work promotion and she is a smoker too. Part of me is nervous because she smokes a lot and I feel like I'll be tempted to smoke more while in her presence, but then part of me is feeling like this will be a sort of prep test for me to see if I can still keep the number I am smoking down while there.....like how bad do you want this Tamara? Well then prove it!

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Snowdoggie

@Tamarah It is preparation for the future. One of the hardest things early in a quit is to be around other smokers. When you are with your friend and want one, try telling yourself you will wait 5 minutes before you light up. Often that 5 minute delay is enough to get you past the crave and you don't need one any more. You can bite into a lemon, peel and all, and it will stop a crave.

Continue to track your smokes while with your friend. It will give you new insights.

View solution in original post

maryfreecig

A lot of smokers preparing to quit 'test the waters.' It makes sense, we are trying to get our mind set on just how to make a quit work. Once you get to your quit day, definitely take your quit plan seriously. Do anything even if it is only for five, ten, twenty minutes at a time. You will gain your balance as you go, but it's best to take it as easy as possible, one day at a time. Rewards are a good thing to give yourself--make it an iou reward if need be. It's human to feel better by getting rewards--and a reward can be absolutely anything!!! 

You might want to save your spent cigarettes in a jar as a reminder of how senseless smoking is and that you mean business by deciding to quit.

addiction is.jpgQuit JarQuit Jar

My last few weeks of smoking. I still have the jar up high on a cupboard shelf. I keep it to remember what it was like to be so afraid to quit, so unsure, so that I never go through that again.

IMG_7586.JPG

A little math I did while preparing to quit smoking

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Snowdoggie

@Tamarah It is preparation for the future. One of the hardest things early in a quit is to be around other smokers. When you are with your friend and want one, try telling yourself you will wait 5 minutes before you light up. Often that 5 minute delay is enough to get you past the crave and you don't need one any more. You can bite into a lemon, peel and all, and it will stop a crave.

Continue to track your smokes while with your friend. It will give you new insights.

maryfreecig

A lot of smokers preparing to quit 'test the waters.' It makes sense, we are trying to get our mind set on just how to make a quit work. Once you get to your quit day, definitely take your quit plan seriously. Do anything even if it is only for five, ten, twenty minutes at a time. You will gain your balance as you go, but it's best to take it as easy as possible, one day at a time. Rewards are a good thing to give yourself--make it an iou reward if need be. It's human to feel better by getting rewards--and a reward can be absolutely anything!!! 

You might want to save your spent cigarettes in a jar as a reminder of how senseless smoking is and that you mean business by deciding to quit.

addiction is.jpgQuit JarQuit Jar

My last few weeks of smoking. I still have the jar up high on a cupboard shelf. I keep it to remember what it was like to be so afraid to quit, so unsure, so that I never go through that again.

IMG_7586.JPG

A little math I did while preparing to quit smoking

TBDDAJ

That certainly a good way of looking at it!

Snowdoggie

@maryfreecig I like all your visuals! Very helpful.

Tamarah

Thanks everyone. I didn't do too bad this weekend. I found that holding one without lighting it really helped me not smoke a lot. I am definitely buying myself one of those fake rubber cigarettes. I think that will help a lot when my quit date is here (August 8th.....yay). I am really glad I found this community this time around. 

Barbscloud

@Tamarah How are doing?  

Barb

0 Kudos
Braided

welcome @tamara to the EX community.  They have been a tremendous help to me and I’m sure they will be for you.  
   I have found the nicotine inhalers, which require a prescription, to be enormously helpful during my quit. It gives a small dose of nicotine but REALLY helps with the hand to mouth habit and the inhalation that I missed so much with quitting.  I didn’t like them at first, but the more I used them, the better I liked it.  
Do follow the advice of making a plan, identifying your triggers and your strategies for dealing with a trigger or a crave.  Make sure to include deep, slow breathing. It’s helpful for everyone!  
    I wish you great success in your quitting journey. And look forward to seeing you in the “games” !   

MDancy1975

Hi Tamarah 👋 

I read your story and I'm going through the same thing, when I'm at work I'm too busy to smoke a lot it's when I'm at home is when it kicks in...I bought my car in 2021 new and still haven't smoked in my car, that's an accomplishment all in itself to me...Keep ya head held high WE can do this!

Sincerely, 

Mary D

GennaP1975

@Tamarah my quit day is approaching but I have not had a cigarette in almost 48hrs. How is it going for you?? Did you get the rubber cigarette? If so did it help?