cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

t1wells

Quit After 20+ Years

I am using the becomeanex.org site to stop my nasty habit. My quit date is 02/23/10 and I am doing it for my health and my family, not to mention the overwhelming expenses. I'm 40 and know that smoking is aging me beyond what nature intended. I truly love to smoke but I have to stop. How can I tell my 15 and 16 year olds to never smoke when that is all they have ever seen me do. I have this beautiful granddaughter that is 9 months from my 23 year old (who also smokes) and I don't want her biggest memory of  me being the way that I smelled like smoke.

0 Kudos
128 Replies
janine7

Hi everybody!  My name is Janine.  I'm 38 years old and have been smoking since I was 14.  Tomorrow (Jan. 18th) is my quit date and I have no idea how to get started.  I tried quitting a few months ago but that lasted less then 48 hours.  I obsessed about it all day!  I tried again on January 1st but didn't make it past 10:00am.  I really want to stop and stay stopped.  Any suggestions on how to get started.  I always have a cigarette first thing in the morning and then several more while I'm drinking my coffee.

0 Kudos
theresa6

I looked into this site back in October, but decided to postpone my quit date until after Christmas.  I was going to be with my family who all smoke, and knew I wouldn't be strong enough to resist at that point.  I was going to quit the first week in January, but seem to be doing worse than ever. Now it's time to start over.  Reclean the house, smoke outside, monitor my triggers, cut back and practice fighting those urges.  February 14 is my new quit date, and is also the birthday of a dear friend with health issues because of smoking.  None of my friends here smoke, so that is a plus. I'll probably need some support from here, but I know one of my triggers is sitting at the computer! Good luck everyone!

0 Kudos
chris148

Guess what - yesterday was the day!  I haven't had a cigarette since 5 PM - Friday!  I am really doing it! It is hard though - have had a headache on and off though.

Also - just wondering if along with the stopping comes tears???? Now I know that I am a woman and we do get emotional - but really - it seems like I am very touchy or sentimental about things more than usual.

Is this normal or what? Has anyone else had this problem?

0 Kudos
lois2

wecome to all the new ones, we can Quit good luck, i need to set a quit date,

0 Kudos
lois2

yes CHRIS when i quit last time i cry every yime i looked at my hubby, when i watch a sad movie, when i seen my grand kids, i went to the doc. she gave a med. call Pristiq i get to quit all over again, good luck

0 Kudos
janine7

Triggers?  What isn't a trigger!?  I smoke when I get up in the morning, when I drink coffee, when I'm at the computer, while I'm driving my car, after every meal, after sex, while I'm talking on the phone, watching TV, putting on makeup,... hell, I'm smoking right now!!!  I can't wait to put them down before I go to bed tonight and start tomorrow off with a clean slate.  I'm so sick of feeling like I can't function without a cigarette in my hand.  It's terrible.  I've been busy creating my profile and visiting other groups on this site all day so I'm feeling pretty motivated.  The commercials on TV for this site are hilarious!  I just love the one with the lady mixing a drink at work before she goes out on a cigarette break and the man driving the delivery truck around the corner.  That's funny, but that's me!!!  I'm going to give it my best shot.  I'll keep you posted.  Good Luck to everyone!

0 Kudos
sunshine4

hello all well I made it 15 days now , guess i need to stop counting the days and just say i dont smoke anymore !!!!

0 Kudos
janine7

Okay, so going cold turkey is probably not the best option for me.  I've tried it several times and it just doesn't work.  I'm keeping track of how many cigarettes I smoke and March 3rd is my new quit date.  My way obviously isn't working and I can't keep making the same mistake over and over again expecting different results.  Not gonna happen!  Maybe if I plan this alittle better and prepare myself for the big day I'll have better luck.  I want to be successful.  I don't know why I think that after smoking for 20+ years I can just all of a sudden stop one day and never smoke again.  That's just crazy!   Can anyone share how they did it?

0 Kudos
janine7

No way I'm giving up!  I smoked the last cigarette in my pack about 45 minutes ago and I'm not buying anymore.  TODAY STILL IS MY QUIT DATE!!! 

0 Kudos
lois2

ok Janine, good luck i need to get my self ready, oh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh just need to make up my mind,  Sunshine keep up the good work, Theresa feb.14 sound good. Chris i hope you feel better to day,

0 Kudos