cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

t1wells

Quit After 20+ Years

I am using the becomeanex.org site to stop my nasty habit. My quit date is 02/23/10 and I am doing it for my health and my family, not to mention the overwhelming expenses. I'm 40 and know that smoking is aging me beyond what nature intended. I truly love to smoke but I have to stop. How can I tell my 15 and 16 year olds to never smoke when that is all they have ever seen me do. I have this beautiful granddaughter that is 9 months from my 23 year old (who also smokes) and I don't want her biggest memory of  me being the way that I smelled like smoke.

0 Kudos
128 Replies
t1wells

BarbaraJean- I feel the exact same way. I'm actually sitting here having just finished a cigarette thinking that I can't imagine a day when I won't want one. My dad quit when he was about 50 and never looked back and for the life of me I don't know how he did it. I'm pretty good about stopping right up until it's time for another and then I'll use any excuse in the world why I need to have one. Sound familar to everyone? I WANT SO BADLY TO FORGET THAT I WAS EVER A SMOKER! Short of an accident where I am in a coma for months I don't think it will happen that way. I'm so strong and now it's time to prove it with quitting.

0 Kudos
lois2

i have got to quit again, i quit for 6 mons. went back on dec. 26, don't know why, it was so stupid of me, i gain 18 lbs. i think that is why i went back to smoking. good luck to us all

0 Kudos
t1wells

Lois- I know all about the weight thing. I think that is why I have smoked for so long as well. Actually, I think that I have used that as an excuse. I seem to gain weight even when I smoke. Tomorrow I wake up to waiting until after I finish my first cup of coffee before I light up. Wish me luck!

0 Kudos
patisready

I've seen the ad on tv for this sight for several weeks. I finally logged on and created a profile. I have 4 kids and quit with each pregnancy. I also quit for a year after haveing pnomenia. Part of me doesn't want to quit, but I can't think of 1 good reason to keep somking. The bigger part of me wants to stop. I hoping with this web-site and the support of the members I will do it this time. My name is Pat and I will be checking in daily.

0 Kudos
ria2

hi, everybody.. my quit date is jan 24, little scared but getting ready.. been smoking for 30 years, & i am up to a pack & 1/2 to 2 packs a day.. can't wait to quit, can't wait to call my self a non smoker & be free of this.. can't wait to breathe & taste & smell again..can't wait to smell fabric softner on my clothes instead of cigarettes.. my husband & i have our 1st grand child coming in april & hope to be free of this terrible addiction by then..my kids are encouraging & so is my husband.. i ve tried many times & always failed, this time i am going to do it..start tracking cigs tommorrow, that should be interesting to see it on paper..

0 Kudos
hysteria1963

HELLO EVERYONE!  I HAVE BEEN SMOKING FOR 23 YEARS AND I'M FINALLY READY TO QUIT.  I ENJOY SMOKING BUT I AM A DIABETIC AND NEED TO BETTER MY HEALTH AND WILL START BY CUTTING OUT THE CIGARETTES.  I HAVE TRIED TO QUIT A FEW TIMES BEFORE BUT I SMOKE ALMOST THREE PACKS OF CIGARETTES A DAY AND AT 5.00 A PACK IT IS GETTING CRAZY. WHEN I QUIT BEFORE I DIDN'T CRAVE THE CIGARETTES, I JUST DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITHOUT THEM. THEY ARE LIKE AN EXTENDED PART OF MY HAND.  HOPEFULLY I'LL GET SOME TIPS FROM OTHERS ON HOW TO DEAL WITH THAT. I'M SURE THAT READING HOW OTHERS ARE COPING WILL BE A BIG HELP FOR ME.

0 Kudos
smp101

Hey long timers

I'm 51 and started smoking when I was 12, Ihate doing that math. I am on day 6 of being free from smoking, and quite commited. Don't know why it'sdifferent this time, but it is. I feel different inside, more at peace, more accepting etc.. This site has been sooo helpful, having support with friends here makes a big difference for me.

Thank you everyone

0 Kudos
lois2

i will PRAY for all of us. we can do this i know because i quit for 6 mons. i gain 18 lbs. went back to smoking 3 weeks ago. i am going to 1-12-10 i know we can do this, one day at a time, a lot of water and praying so LE'T DO THIS FOR OUR SELFS. good luck

0 Kudos
lois2

SMP101 wow day 6 you go now, one day at atime

0 Kudos
furaha

I'm new to the site and have been smoking for 42 years!!!!  I've become a slave to cigarettes and I thoroughly enjoy the whole process.  Always have, but now I know it really is time to quit for good!  I'm looking forward to being a part of a community of people who are facing the same challenges as I with this demon.

0 Kudos